The Story Of Kat And Pat (Part 3)

December 3, 2009 · 13 comments

Part I.
Part II.

Part III:

And then I graduated from high school and never played club volleyball again.

But I couldn’t let it end there. Have I mentioned I’m slightly manipulative? Don’t worry. I use my cunning ways for mostly good, and in Pat’s case, I used them to make him like me.

I offered to be his assistant coach the following season. I was moving away to college less than 30 minutes from the gym, it would be a great way to make a little extra money AND I would get to keep talking to Pat.

I cast the bait and he bit. Hook. Line. And sinker.

The truth is I couldn’t have cared less about coaching volleyball. I’m not good at it. I see the court from my own position’s perspective…I have no idea what the other player’s are supposed to be doing in each rotation.

And I’m not sure WHY I was so insistent on being his assistant coach. He’s five inches shorter than me, eleven years older…I mean I didn’t REALLY think we were going to start dating. I just knew I didn’t want to never see him again.

And then one of my old teammates told Pat I liked him. Like…liked him liked him. They had a long conversation and she let him in on the jokes that had been going on for years. Pat was stunned…when I talked to him next he came right out with it. He asked me if it was all true and I was all, “ummmm….yeah?” and he was all, “really?? Wow. Hmph. Okay then.”

Okay then.

I hung up the phone feeling extremely confused with myself. Did I REALLY like him? Like, like him like him? It had all been just a big joke….hadn’t it?

I decided I had taken it too far to NOT see if there was something there. What if I was wrong and all this time is was MORE than a silly crush! We started spending more time together…we grabbed dinner after tournaments, we carpooled together, and we GASP…WENT TO A MOVIE (that I claimed I never saw just so he would still take me), and as it turns out I WAS wrong…I kind of DID like him like him!

Picnik collage

My Mom knew something was up instantly. I came home from college one night and she asked why she hadn’t been seeing much of me. Then came the raised eyebrows and the “out with it, who is he??” questions.

I expected shock. Panic even. But my Mom smiled at his name and shook her head at the daughter she knows all too well. The daughter who has never been known to rest until whatever it is she’s pining for is hers. After all, I’d been working HER over for years.

“You hear that Bob??” she said as she turned to my step dad at the dining room table. “Kathy’s dating Pat.”

Bob just snickered his funny little snicker, “well I’m not surprised one bit…you seen the look on her face when she talks about that man?? She’s had it out for him since day one….he didn’t stand a chance.”

He certainly did not.

And I’m glad.

And so are they…

Picnik collage

Peg February 18, 2010 at 8:46 am

So glad to know I’m not the only stalker out there! LOL You can reader my stalker/victim (future/present husband) story here:

I really enjoyed your story!

Stacey March 20, 2010 at 12:26 pm

This *sniff* is one of the bestest (yeah, I said it) stories I have EVER read. Thanks for making me do the ugly cry, lady. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa….true love :)

Shelley April 6, 2010 at 10:16 am

Oh my gosh this was such a great story!! Thank you so much for sharing it! I love how you even have pictures that go along with it through the years! Nice!

Joey & Aleethea (Sandra) May 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Not sure how I found your blog…but I’ve read all parts of that story and totally cried at the end too. How awesome for you guys, what a wonderful foundation for your obviously gorgeous family. Ugh, and I am SO NOT a sappy cry-at-love-stories kind of person!! Loved reading every minute of it.

Jessica May 23, 2010 at 5:50 pm

That is a great story.
At the end of Part II,
I was like what?!?!
What happened! haha
Great story!
:-)

Ashley June 10, 2010 at 11:54 am

how sweet.. what a good story

Amber June 25, 2010 at 8:32 am

Awwwww another stalker who got her prey :-) I’ve been known to do similar things, but never had it last for years. My hat’s off to you lady! And you are all very lucky indeed.

Caroline July 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Ohh! I LOVED reading your three part series! That’s a wonderful story and your children are BEAUTIFUL! Blessings galore!

undomestic August 10, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Loved your story! It’s so adorable, even with the stalking.. Sometimes tho we’re not left any choice about stalking – boys can be so dense.

Brandi September 6, 2010 at 4:06 pm

What a beautiful story, and what a beautiful family! Okay, let me get it together and claim my man! Ha! Thanks for the inspiration!

Alicia September 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Your story gave me goose bumps!! I loved it!! I love it that you liked him, liked him and got what you wanted!! Your kids are beyond adorable!!!

Priscilla August 2, 2011 at 5:40 am

Beautiful love story! :) Reminds me of my co-workers story but her husband is 20 years older than her.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down March 18, 2012 at 9:00 am

I know this is an old entry and somehow I started reading it on your poodle page and ended up over here. But I’m so glad I read it! It was like a Lifetime movie except no one ends up dead. So maybe more like a Hallmark movie. I just love this story!! I have to send my best friend over to read it b/c it’s so adorable!