Writer’s Workshop: That’s My Name

3.) What’s in YOUR name? What does it mean? Why was it given to you? etc..

I’m Kathy.

A derivative of Katherine and named after my Grandma. I hate derivatives. I hate that my name can’t mean something all by itself and that instead I have to steal Katherine’s meaning and make it mine. Why should Katherine have to share her meaning with all the Kats and Kathys and Katies of the world?

Katherine means “pure” by the way.

Pure.

Free of any invasive, dirty, unwanted elements.

I suppose the meaning of Kathy would more accurately be a derivative of “pure”…maybe purely. As in “purely super intelligent”…or “purely incredible”….or “purely almost perfect but noooot quite there because to call yourself perfect would be superficial and borderline narcissistic”…

When I was five my family called me Wilbur. Like the pig. Because I was hungry and ate every last one of them under the table. They may or may not have oinked in unison whenever I asked for more. I don’t want to talk about it.

I WAS GROWING!

Me And Baby.

When I was nine I preferred to be called “Katherine” because I thought it was more mature and refined and rich sounding. Perhaps deep inside I knew I was just a derivative of pure and I longed for the real deal.

When I was fourteen my oldest sister had a baby and my own Mother nicknamed me Aunty KaKa. It stuck. And if you don’t already know than let me just inform you that kaka means poop. Which is really not very pure at all. They may as well call me “Aunty IMpurity”. I mean THAT’S what a slap in the face it is. A disgrace.

Me and A.

When I was twenty my husband started calling me Kat. It caught on and has taken some of the blow from Aunty PoopPoop which I’m grateful for. Which is why I married him.

In blogland I go by Mama Kat. Because I’m a mama and I’m Kat and it just felt right putting the two together and quite frankly any improvement on Aunty PoopPoop is welcome at this point….although “Aunty Impurity Is Losin’ It” DOES have a ring to it.

Choose a prompt, post it on your blog, and come back and sign Mr. Linky. Be sure to sign up with the actual post URL and not just your basic blog URL (click on the title of your post for that URL). For good comment karma try to comment on the three blogs above your name!!

1.) Time for your tangent…what is your latest complaint?

2.) If you could have given yourself a snapshot five years ago of what your life is like now, what would the picture be of and how do you think you would have felt about it?

3.) What’s in YOUR name? What does it mean? Why was it given to you? etc..

4.) Write a letter to the first person who ever broke your heart.

5.) Welcome to the most shocking rose ceremony in writing prompt history. Please award roses to the ten people (or items) in your life that you’d like to continue pursuing a relationship with.

If you’re playing along don’t forget to add a workshop button to your page:

Copy and Paste Code

Comments

Okay I still can’t get your button to work on my blog….but anyway…

I LOVE the name KAT…always wanted to be a Kat…I have always loved cats….my license plate in MI was Felinne…and now, do people call me Kat? Or Kittie? Or even Kittie Kat? Nope…they call me “MEOW”….so altho it’s a step above Auntie Poop, it’s still not KAT!

I didn’t realize that the code I provided creates a button that doesn’t actually link back to the site. I’m working on it today and will update my post when I’ve got it figured out (which means I have friends helping me and if they figure it out I’ll let you know). :)

The button is fixed. Apparently when I copied and pasted the code automatically changed…some of the quotes were backwards. Now it links fine. Phew.

Okay, not ignoring your post Kat but I’ve got to go to bed. I’ll be back in the morning to catch up on your post!! Sleep tight! ;O)

3. Nancy says

Mama Poopoop would have definitely made a more interesting splash but probably not bigger.

Good call.

4. Holly L says

Kat sounds cool and chic and seems to fit you quite well! Although I am getting a chuckle out of Aunt KaKa!

5. Jade @ No Longer 25 says

Hi Kat,
    Thanks for linking to me and using my post for inspiration that is really cool! But I got the idea from another Jade who I liked up to Jade Keller who does a Tell it to Me Tuesday prompt: http://jadekeller.com/

It’s really interesting to read about people’s names, your post is really funny. I’m sure it wasn’t funny when you were little though! I’m glad you found a version of your name you really like, I like Kat, I think of fun when I hear that names, everyone I know called Kat or Cat has always been fun and had a great sense of humour.
    Jade

What a great story! I love how you went through the process of defining your name rather than letting your name define you. (P.S. Hope you don’t mind: I added your post to my Mr. Linky since the name prompt originated there.)

Mama Kat it really a good name but I think Mama PoopPoop is actually funnier! LOL! Karen means “pure” too. My mom actually wanted me to go by Karen Anne but I hated it and it never stuck. Now though, I don’t think it would be so bad. Oh well, it’s a little late to change now.

Absolutely classic – Aunt Poop-Poop! On a side note, I’m not a fan of people who name their kids after them – for instance if the father’s name is John, and they name their son “John.” I’m sure there are plenty of reasons to do it, but I get the feeling the son has trouble creating his own identity 9and besides, it’s a bid narcissistic as well, me thinks). Anyway, if I ever have a son, he will not be “Little Los,” no matter how cool it sounds!

I agree. It bothered me when Pat refused to name out kids certain things because of the meaning of the names. I think people make the meaning, not the other way around.

For what it’s worth I do plan on naming my next son Little Los in your honor.

It’s funny that Erin mentioned loving the name Kat – I always have too. My mother’s name was Catherine, and I wished that she had named me after herself so I could be a Cat or Kat. In fact, as a teen, when I’d write things, and I’d dream up a pen name to go along with them, Kat was often the name I was drawn to! I have a name I didn’t always love, too, so I understand. I’ve been called some not-so-nice things over the years, but Aunty KaKa might be worse! Thanks for sharing! :)

P.S. – This is my first week joining you guys – it was one of my New Year’s resolutions to try to be a part of this on a regular basis.

You’re crazy, I LOVE Elizabeth! So many directions you can go with that and Beth on Little Women was my FAVORITE.

That said I always wanted to be an Ashley. :)

I’m sorry, but I’m still chuckling over Aunty KaKa. Heehee! One thing that has always bugged me about my name was that there was no easy nickname for it. Silly, huh? Instead, I come up with one myself and chose Lolli? :)

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :) Anut KaKa! I am so glad you have been upgraded! Too funny! Pure is definitely one of the first words that comes to mind when I think of you. Purely Hilarious!

11. The Psycho Mama says

When I was a nanny the baby I took care of couldn’t say my name properly and called me Kaka as well. It was awesome ;)

12. GregoryJ says

Tia kaka.
    I did it. Wrote about my name. Do you grade them now?
    This is my first time.
    Thanks,
    GregoryJ

Mama Kat is right. BFF and I actually struggled quite a bit with your name when we were preparing for the “big meetup” (that’s what we call it you, when we talk about Vegas?!), because we just don’t feel right calling you Kat (or Kathy, or Katherine, or even Kaka for that matter). You are MAMA Kat and all the other names just don’t seem right. So, I hope you don’t mind being called Mama by someone who looks old enough to be your grandmama because it really just has to be.

Isn’t it funny how our blog identities become difficult to separate from!?!

The Big Meetup was the best, but I’m still mad that I didn’t think ahead and get tickets to see JT with you girls! You’re going to Baltimore right?

Well Wilbur, you may have eaten like a pig, but you were still skinny… at least there’s that.
    Love Auntie Kaka. That’s just too good.

But ultimately, I like you as Mama Kat!!!

Justine :o )

I was called CaCa for most of my childhood by my younger cousins who couldn’t say my name. My family thought it was HIL-arious. I feel your pain.

“Auntie Impurity” rocks! It has a nice ring to it, I think. And you know, when the nieces and nephews are adolescents, they’d be drawn to that name – just to annoy their parents.

And you might have been the skinniest Wilbur I’ve ever seen!

Still laughing at Aunty KaKa. At least your name has a meaning you can understand. I always have to go by the meaning of Jennifer which is White; fair; smooth….hmmm I’m white, and I may have been fair and smooth as a baby but not so much in adult hood ;)

18. Kat says

Let’s hear it for the Kathy’s!!! Now I know what my name means since you did all the work for me ;) And I promise…one of these days I will get to actually participating in your workshop. But for now, I will just ditto yours!! :)

19. Sunday Stilwell says

I like the name Kat too!
    My older sister has a daughter named Caytie and get this…her middle name is Tabby. I kid you not!

20. 3 Men & a Lady says

I had those same pants!!! I also had them in turquoise, hot pink, blue, and blue. They had no stretch in them at all, except for the giant waistband, lol.

I’m glad you are Kat now. KaKa wouldn’t fly with me either!

Hello, everybody it’s me.
    I decided yesterday to see what Mama Kat was up too. And i looked at her prompts and LOVED it. Any-hoo, i’m playing today.

Aunty ka-ka ROFL! Ha! I’m sorry Mama. So funny though. I’m glad Kat sticks now. Much better.

I’m off to visit the three before me now. Hopefully I’ll get good Karma commenting and all.
    I LOVE to visit new blogs…;)

Hmmm….you’re the second one to mention no Mr. Linky but I swear I’m looking right at it. Were you able to link up or is it still not showing on your page?

22. Wendy says

I can’t get your button to work on my blog either!!

But I did try , and really liked the challenge of this writing prompt.

What a great story, I wondered where you got your blog name from:) My name is Wanda I think it’s German, I don’t know, I’m not German that much I do know:)

I love this writer’s workshop, Thank you for making it happen!

24. Tina Lane says

This is my first time participating. I decided to take a chance and write a letter to the first person who broke my heart. I probably should have had a glass of wine first.

Hope the Hubs forgives me.

Wilbur? I’m going to have to use that on my boys, who eat everything in sight. No kidding- I have locks on our pantry and fridge.

Lol! I didnt know kaka meant poo! Its funny because when my older sister got pregnant at a young age my mom said she was too young to be a granny so she wanted them to call her kaka (since her name is also kathy) and by the time I had my 1st she said it felt impersonal, and she was ready to be Granny… it was too late… all 4 grandbabies call her kaka.. I am now LMAO b/c it means poo!! HAHAHAHA take that Granny!

Okay. I did it. I vented. I went on a tangent. Now lets see what happens after Twisted Sister sees that I vented about her daughter. Oh Joy.

Kat is for sure much better than Auntie KaKa! I would’ve killed my mother if she had done that!

Thanks for the prompts. I took a chance and went for the letter one. Pretty awesome if I do say so myself!

Oh, and this writer’s workshop happened to be my 100th post! How cool is that?

What is it with kids and repeating sounds? When my younger sister was born and could speak, she called me Jen-Jen. The name stuck. From then all, younger cousins, kids I baby-sat, basically anyone younger called me Jen-Jen.

Granted, that’s not as bad as KaKa… sorry Kat!

This is my first time participating and it was great fun. Got the brain working a little bit, I think I went off on a bit of a tangent but I usually do!

Love the idea of this writers workshop I look forward to next weeks!

Sparky

I will not call you Kat or Kathy or Mama Kat or maybe Cynthia. I don’t know. But I will just call you.

Oh and the other day in the trip around the blogosphere I came across someone with the name *Mama Kat* and I was all like IMPOSTOR! You are not Mama Kat. There is only one Mama Kat and she is awesome and you are not. That’s right, I got your back.

I never went through name changes. My sister, on the other hand, went through many names. (Different spellings too) I remember kids calling the house looking for (BLANKETY BLANK) and my mom was all “WHO?” Sister forgot to tell mom that she changed her name.

Call me what ya want….I’ll probably answer to it.

33. momlissa says

I love the name Katherine. It was one of my top 3 for my daughter (our last name starts with K, so she could be Katherine of Katie later – I had it all planned out lol) When I was 9, I insisted everyone call me Ronnie (Veronica) from the Archie/Jughead series. I like my name enough. It’s certainly better then Karma, which was the original choice.

34. Heatherly says

This may be one of wittiest posts I’ve read in blogland. Thank you for make me snort!

So… my name is Erica, hard to botch – right?

Well, when I was little, my friend’s baby sister had trouble pronouncing it. Erica came out as “Caca.” See how much we have in common? I, too, was called “Poop” at a young age. Worse was that the girl’s mother thought it so funny that SHE started calling me it, too!

i finally decided to check out this mamakat that i hear so much about and now i can’t leave. i’ve clicked on every button on your site.

i can’t stop laughing about your insatiable five year old appetite because that is my daughter right now. (actually right this moment she’s singing ‘gimme a apple gimme a apple’ even though she just downed a bag of mini muffins.

i’m also laughing uncontrollably about aunty kaka because anything about poop always makes me chuckle.

i can’t wait to participate in a writer’s prompt! so glad i came.

I have to make a confession. I was Caca too. My brother couldn’t say Jessica. And some people still don’t let me live it down. I think thats why I ask most people to stick to Jess. Dunno? :P

Trackbacks