Writer’s Workshop: I Want To Be Fixed

February 24, 2010 · 53 comments

Fixed.

I want to be better.
Plump lips, rosy cheeks, tan skin.
I want to be desired.
Tone arms, skinny legs, small waist.
I want to fit in.
Long hair, wide eyes, straight teeth.
I want to be pretty.
Wavy hair, perky boobs, sculpted brows.
I want to be fixed.

Choose a prompt, post it on your blog, and come back and sign Mr. Linky. Be sure to sign up with the actual post URL and not just your basic blog URL (click on the title of your post for that URL). For good comment karma try to comment on the three blogs above your name!!

1.) 10 Reasons why you’re better off without him….or her….or it.

2.) Brea from Tomika’s Treasure Trove wants your advice: Quick question. I am new to the blogging world, having clocked up less than 2 weeks worth of posts, and I have just had an ‘Anonymous’ commenter slam me for blogging about my daughter, mentioning her by name, posting photos and up-to-date stories about her. I have not mentioned anywhere in my blog where we live, Country OR State, or what school she goes to. I have also seen, on several other blogs, that other parents do the same thing as me. Some even mention where they live. I was wondering, as a fellow blogger who posts about your family, what are your thoughts on the subject?

3.) “What images inspire you immediately? Open a magazine and create a piece of writing (poem, story, essay) about the first image that captures your imagination.”

4.) “Why do we watch them? Make fun of soap operas with a piece of writing.”

5.) Craft time! Do share.

Copy and Paste Code

Dan February 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm

All I have to say is that the model in the graphic is scary. Maybe overdone a bit? {*grin*}

adrianscrazylife February 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Wow, I can’t believe I got in early this time. Usually I’m dragging along adding my link on Friday afternoon. Guess there are some advantages to staying up drastically late!

Erin February 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I want to be fixed too….but if it looks like that in the end…I’m cool with the way I am! =) And Kat, you are beee-u-ti-ful just the way you are!!

3 Men and a Lady February 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm

holy cow! she’s the poster child for why NOT to have plastic surgery, LOL. Kidding aside, I’d get a couple of adjustments, maybe, but nothing noticeable (if I could afford it and I can’t).

Heather February 24, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I don’t understand plastic surgery much to be honest and that picture highlights just why i find it all so scary. Im hoping she doesn’t really look like that, poor girl and that it’s a photoshop job.

gaelikaa February 25, 2010 at 1:20 am

Oh, yes! You said it right!

parenting BY dummies February 25, 2010 at 2:34 am

That’s just scary.

Jen @ buried with children February 25, 2010 at 2:57 am

Alright, I am just going to say it. I have always thought that you needed a little work. Glad to see you agree.

Kidding. No, don’t cry I am really kidding.

You are perfect. The most beautiful blogger ever!

Anyway, this was great. And I am a total overachiever today b/c I wrote on 2 prompts. :)

Los February 25, 2010 at 3:12 am

Ummmm …. that’s a really, really scary picture. How can anyone think this is attractive?

Coco February 25, 2010 at 3:58 am

Ewww. Every time I see an actress on tv with all that silicone pumped into their face I want to gag. I think I would prefer to look older rather than so obviously fake. I just can’t get past it. Yuck.

Brea @ Tomika's Treasure Trove February 25, 2010 at 4:19 am

Nice pic! I mean it, really…

Wow, if that’s the after, I’d hate to see the before!

Lindsay @ Kids Are Teachers February 25, 2010 at 4:23 am

Well, since my work blocks all images I have no idea what the image you posted is, but I can tell from the comments that it’s not good! Anyway, I always enjoy your Writers Workshops…They give me a chance to write something fresh and different. Thanks!

Jade @ No Longer25 February 25, 2010 at 4:43 am

Ahhh that picture is scary scary! You don’t need to be fixed, you’re beautiful the way you are already! Especially if there’s risk that you would look like that lady. No writters workshop for me this week, I was too busy writting about scones and forgot it was Thursday – back to it next week.
Jade

June Freaking Cleaver February 25, 2010 at 4:57 am

What will our little girls think if that face becomes the new normal? They’ll be asking for surgery instead of toys at Christmas.

Like we don’t have enough problems with body image already.

Stephanie February 25, 2010 at 5:31 am

Yuck I see more and more women who like that picture, its gross!

S Club Mama February 25, 2010 at 5:35 am

That is creepy!

angel February 25, 2010 at 5:35 am

OK that was just scary.. turn her blue and you have one of the female avatar looking things lol

Raine February 25, 2010 at 5:38 am

I know Im just repeating everyone else, but that woman is really creepy. Its an interesting ad, though

Amethyst Moon February 25, 2010 at 5:50 am

What a great piece of marketing!! and I think I saw that lady the other day, really! true story.

Jenners February 25, 2010 at 5:51 am

Arrrrggggghhhhhh!!!! The attack of the plump-lipped plastic face woman! You don’t need to be fixed … you’re beautiful just as you are.

Erin February 25, 2010 at 5:59 am

I wonder if that is a real person?!

Julie February 25, 2010 at 6:27 am

Maybe the reason it is called Plastic surgery is because when too much is done, you look plastic.

tara February 25, 2010 at 7:05 am

is that a human??

Amber February 25, 2010 at 7:18 am

ACK! That picture made me jump.

I just want B cup boobs. And okay, a tummy tuck but that’s IT I swear.

Caren February 25, 2010 at 7:33 am

Great post Kat! Yes, that lady is frightening.

I linked up with a craft post. Yay! I needed that inspiration to get this post finished… finally!

Have a great day!

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud February 25, 2010 at 8:00 am

Oh my goodness Kat! What kind of magazines are you reading?!? In all seriousness, I was just thinking about this the other day – society’s unrealistic view of beauty and plastic surgery’s role in it all. Why can’t we just embrace what real, natural, unaltered beauty really looks like? I fear for our daughters, the unrealistic portrayl of beauty in the media and it’s effect on young women. *sigh*
Great promtps this week, Kat.

Kristi, Live and Love…Out Loud
@TweetingMama

K A B L O O E Y February 25, 2010 at 8:26 am

Don’t let this happen to you. Frightening. Then again, I imagine she has some kind of “dysmorphic” something that would qualify her as having mental illness, so maybe I’ll put a brake on the judgement. But, man.

Summer February 25, 2010 at 8:43 am

Don’t we all, don’t we all. =)

Why wasn’t I just born a Samoan, because then being big would be beautiful.

Jennifer February 25, 2010 at 8:57 am

That image is just plain scary.

Mine only works if you conside cooking a craft. And I do. So I linked it.

Kat February 25, 2010 at 9:04 am

I don’t have any magazines around my house (I don’t think, anyway!). I read all my trash online these days! This ad is freakin’ hilarious. Trying to put my thinking cap on and complete my Assignment today, as I’m a loyal follower and participator!!

Hugs, Kat

stu pidasso February 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

sorry I’ve been ditching class, Mama Kat! Hope all have been doing well!

Kathy February 25, 2010 at 10:10 am

:o that’s scary Kat!!

Pamela @ 2 much testosterone February 25, 2010 at 11:08 am

I think if she sat near a fireplace, she would melt.

Lourie February 25, 2010 at 11:11 am

First I will say, my daughter thinks you are very pretty. She has even done the workshop with me a couple of times. The poem is great, the picture is very telling, and the message is perfect!

Jessica February 25, 2010 at 11:15 am

Oh, Lord, Kathy! I can sure understanding you wanting to be fixed, but hopefully not like that.

P.S. I’m totally not trying to say that you *need* to be fixed. I just understand the fact that nearly every woman *wants* to be fixed. :)

P.P.S. I think you’re flawless.

P.P.P.S I might be advertising with you guys and I wish I had realized how fabulous your deal was sooner!

P.P.P.P.S You are supposed to add the Ps first right? Not the Ss? P.S.S.S.S.?

dusty earth mother February 25, 2010 at 11:56 am

so sorry i did mine twice–did it wrong the first time. I’m a first-timer! (obviously)

dusty earth mother February 25, 2010 at 11:57 am

by the way, fabu poem.

zorindha February 25, 2010 at 12:18 pm

My first time! I did the 10 reasons, I don’t have any magazines at home! But was fun, I’ll make sure to pop by again!

Eileen February 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Yay! It’s my first time playing! Fun!

Also, if anyone who checks my post out wants to go to the previous post and throw in any advice they have, that’d be pretty darn cool with me.

Holly L February 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm

That picture makes me shudder!

Christie February 25, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I’ll just settle for my husband getting fixed.

Justine February 25, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Good job, Kat! Now who the hell IS that freaky woman-thing?

Justine :o )

Denise February 25, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Fixed? I told the doctor I wanted to be fixed after my second c-section. Double knots, please. Otherwise, I’d have been knocked up again *shudder* because The Husband would never have gotten around to getting fixed.
This is my first time playing with the writing prompts, so any feedback would be appreciated!

ContessaGrigia February 26, 2010 at 12:11 am

I am going to have to come back next week and write with you. This looks like fun.

Heather - Hopelessly Flawed February 26, 2010 at 7:14 am

Love it – thanks so much!

Michelle February 26, 2010 at 5:20 pm

That is one freaky picture. And such an apt description. Yowsers! Nicely chosen.

Chris Weigand February 26, 2010 at 6:20 pm

That picture is scary. I definately would want to head in another direction if I was looking for a makeover.

Dianna@KennedyAdventures February 26, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Scary chicker looks like Donatella Versace … ewwwwww

Dawn March 1, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Scary… my 15 year old daughter has recently started watching programmes like America’s Next Top Model, and she has liked Jordan, AKA Katie Price for a long time, who I think is totally false. I am like most women and wouldn’t say no to having a wonderfully firm body, a gorgeous face and voluminous hair, but I really don’t understand why any woman would want to look so obviously operated on. I’m new and posted my first blog here, but it was from the list of old prompts so not sure if I did the right thing. Will definitely be back here!

http://guestbook.mh-foto-design.de August 8, 2013 at 3:55 am

Yes! Finally someone writes about dentist carlisle.

dentalcare00.beeplog.com September 25, 2013 at 12:28 am

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and
now each time a comment is added I get three
emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
Thank you!