My Boy

July 9, 2010 · 61 comments

My boy is three.

I feel like just yesterday I was showing off my brand new baby and recounting the story of his birth and writing about how when I was pregnant with him I really wanted him to be a girl.

And now here we are at three!

High fives all around! We have officially survived the terrible twos!!!

It’s over.

Finally.

Kainoa is a love. With one look he can get me to say yes to just about anything. Oreos for breakfast? You got it! He has cast a spell on me that only a little boy with his sweet grin and thumb sucking ways can do. He’s a happy guy, he has a good life, he is loved by everyone, and my everyday is mainly focused around him and keeping the happy boy I love and adore on the surface and The Terrible Two pushed deep below.

Kainoa can be a major pain in the neck.

Man, have I battled  The Terrible Two this year!
120160322

Last week I walked into Target with all three kids in tow and after passing three racks of clothes The Terrible Two decided he had to push the cart himself, “noIdoit!! noIdoitmommy! noIdoit!!”.

105288750

He threw himself to the ground when I touched the cart in order to maneuver it away from the old lady he was going to nail and I swooped him up and brought all three kids home. Because I just. couldn’t. TAKE IT!

The next day, at the zoo I gave The Terrible Two a time out on a rock next to the Tiger sanctuary and don’t think for one second it didn’t cross my mind that I could just leave him there.

211

Just last Friday The Terrible Two was so mad at having to take a nap that after struggling to carry his long gangly body all the way up the stairs and to the room, he proceeded to punch me in the face.

But that was last week. And now that he’s three it’s time to say goodbye to:

• Screaming car rides.
  • Random acts of violence.
  • Spilling large containers of liquid on computers and library books.
  • Waking up at all hours of the night.
  • Crying incessantly for one thing and then crying harder when that thing is given to him and then harder yet again when, exasperated, the thing is taken back that made him cry harder only for him to cry still harder yet.
  • Unpredictable restaurant behavior.
  • Angry raspberry noises directed at my face when he doesn’t get his way.
  • Missing cameras.
  • Throwing barbie houses at friends for the unforgivable offense of standing nearby.
  • Eating Oreos and Cheetos for breakfast.
  • Slamming buttons on my computer.
  • Running away from home.
  • Crashing loud cars into walls.
  • Running across counter tops.
  • Yelling at me about God knows what while I quickly run from room to room in an attempt to finish up a phone conversation.

Because three year old’s don’t act like that…

Today, I expect a new Kainoa to emerge.

126562089

A Kainoa who says please and thank you and I’m sorry. A Kainoa who does not go running down the street after garbage trucks. A Kainoa who listens to reason and nods patiently when I tell him to wait a minute and says “I understand mother” when I tell him he can’t have anymore candy.

Let the party begin!!!

GOODBYE TERRIBLE TWO!!
120160322

And Happy Birthday my three year old Kainoa!

New Haircut

angie July 9, 2010 at 5:49 am

He punched you in the face? Why do I think that is so funny? I hope that the “hello 3 fairie” hears you about saying goodbye to those terrible twos.

I LOVE his haircut by the way.

Mama Kat July 9, 2010 at 6:07 am

God he’s handsome.

And yes, he punched me in the face. It was very funny Angie, thanks for having a HEART! In his defense it was a half hearted punch. Like, he thought he wanted to hit me, but he knew he was going to be in big trouble so he did it in slow motion and then just looked at me like “uh oh”.

It was a true battle of the terrible two vs. good boy. The good boy lost. The Terrible Two got a spanking.

Tiffany July 9, 2010 at 6:05 am

Happy Birthday !! My little guy turns three next week and I am hoping for the three’s to be better than the two’s also. Crossing fingers for the both of us!

I gave you an award on my blog.

Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos July 9, 2010 at 6:16 am

OH my, let me tell you – we started that at around 2-1/2 and now my son is going to be 4 in a couple of weeks and it’s not any better!!! I’m ready to lose my mind ALL of the time. I really hope that three brings a change around your household! And I’m praying that FOUR brings a change around mine! :)

Jennifer July 9, 2010 at 6:24 am

I have a friend that says “two is just practice for three.” I hope that is not true for you. And he is a very handsome boy. He doesn’t look quite so “shifty” with that haircut.

Melissa July 9, 2010 at 6:34 am

Good luck with that! For me, it’s like a roller coaster. Some days are great and then we have bad days… a month will be good and then the following month Hayden is a mess (he is nearly 3.5-years-old by the way). It’s definitely an interesting ride – but in the end, I suppose that it’s worth it.

Cute haircut by the way!

Nicole July 9, 2010 at 6:51 am

Happy 3rd Kainoa!!! Eat lots of cake and run around screaming at the top of your lungs! Go out of terrible twos with a BANG!!! lol j/k
My Juju turns 4 tomorrow…here’s to no more tantrums!!

Evonne July 9, 2010 at 7:14 am

Happy birthday little man! I love the haircut. He looks so grown up!

Thank goodness my son didn’t go through the Terrible Twos. But 3 – that was a horrible year. And 4 only got worse. He’ll be 5 in a few weeks and Im hoping for some magical transformation.

Sorry I didn’t give you a lot to look forward to!

LisaUnfiltered July 9, 2010 at 7:45 am

I hear 5 is better too. I’ll find out in about 6 weeks. I’ll pray for you if you pray for me!

Evonne July 9, 2010 at 7:50 am

I will! I really hope 5 is in fact better!

Lynne July 10, 2010 at 4:33 am

My son is 16 and I STILL remember 5 as being my favorite age :)

WebSavvyMom July 9, 2010 at 7:20 am

–>I thought two was a breeze because my son is 3 1/2 and some days, he’s a BEAR. I think it has to do with his wider vocabulary. Now he can tell me No! in many different ways.
~deb

Kristin July 9, 2010 at 7:30 am

I hope that three is better to you then it was to me. Happy Birthday K.

Devan @ Accustomed Chaos July 9, 2010 at 7:35 am

Happy birthday to your big boy!! Boys are a load of fun and it really just gets even better! My oldest is a boy and he is now 4.5 and so.much.fun!

annie July 9, 2010 at 7:35 am

My son was a nightmare at 3! Good luck to you – hoping all your dreams come true!

Jamie Bishop July 9, 2010 at 7:36 am

Ha ha…let me know how that works out for you! :-) In my experience the terrible twos never end…my oldest is almost 10…someone forgot to tell the almost 5 year old around here that she was supposed to be done with the terrible twos 3 years ago! Love the post!

Elaine July 9, 2010 at 7:37 am

I hate to break it to you (as others already have…) but 3 is WORSE (at least it was/is here). Have fun! ;)

He does look awfully handsome with his new haircut. Perhaps it’s the magic that you need…

LisaUnfiltered July 9, 2010 at 7:42 am

Maybe it’s because I have girls, but my 5 year old still tries to talk to me ONLY when I pick up the phone. She pretends she doesn’t hear me say “STOP IT” or “DAMMIT! LEAVE YOUR SISTER ALONE” and continues to do what she was doing to begin with that was pissing me off. And don’t even GET ME STARTED on the lying that is her NEW. FAVORITE. THING. TO. DO! I tell you, that brat hates me. (I was going to use a different b-word but I thought that might get me hate mail) She thinks I’m funny when I am mad at her….. HOLY SHIT! She IS my husband’s minime! How the F*&% did THAT happen!!!!???!!!!

My little one is still two and I’m hoping her 3s and 4s are better than big sis’. *crossing fingers, toes, legs, eyes….*

Not meaning to rain on your hopeful parade… but yeah, it’s best to expect reality!

Natalie July 9, 2010 at 7:43 am

Love his big boy haircut.. He’s such a handsome little guy. I hope you have some meds for those your delusions your’re having. Maybe some wine? You’re gonna need it for those dreams you’re having about the Terrible Two leaving the house. Say hello to Traumatizing Three

Melissa July 9, 2010 at 7:48 am

I have no children, so I can’t say for sure. But I have definitely seen children aged 3+ act like they were still experiencing their Terrible 2s. Sorry for your luck. :(

Jersey Diva Mom July 9, 2010 at 7:55 am

Mine are 12 & 10 now. Um, I wish I had some awesome news in regard to all of the above, but …well… ahem… Ok, on the bright side two is in the books. And you’re oodles of time from tween.

Scott ( This Daddy) July 9, 2010 at 8:08 am

Happy Birthday and hello to the BIG 3 and goodbye to the 2′s. It is nice to look ahead to a wonderfful year. And everyone else had mentioned Kainoa’s haircut, so my invalid, non mattering opinion is, I thought it looked better before.

Momlissa July 9, 2010 at 8:11 am

Happy Birthday, Kainoa!

OH man, terrible two’s for my boys were rough, but they started to go off the rails around 2.5 and they’re still going strong (fast approaching 3.5). In fact, there are times that two 3.5 yr old boys has been harder than when they were infants. lol. Not really, but it seems like that when they are yelling, crashing, slamming and otherwise joining in joint shenanigans.

Love the haircut!

Mishelle July 9, 2010 at 8:17 am

Mama Kat – my fingers are crossed for you. It is true that the children who have an incredible experience with the terrible twos don’t go through the horrid threes. I hope you don’t.

ps – I like the haircut.

M

Shelley July 9, 2010 at 8:28 am

Happy Birthday to the little man! Three years old already?! He looks so cute with his new haircut!

Amber Filkins July 9, 2010 at 8:30 am

I just ♥ his new haircut!! And it’s amazing, he looks like a completely different kid! And so much older!

So, Saylor just turned 3 a couple weeks ago too. AND instantly started talking baby talk. And even though she’s been potty trained for an entire year, wet her pants 2x yesterday?? But some things haven’t changed. She is into e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.! Entire bottles of baby powder squirted around our room–on table tops, in carpets, on the bed skirt, powder dust on everything. Lotions are the perfect paint. I mean, unreal.

Is Kainoa as mischievous as Saylor??

Gina July 9, 2010 at 9:03 am

Have you somehow secretly been watching my life? I remember laughing at people who said that 3 was worse than 2 because, gah…how could that be? I took parenting classes, the terrible twos were so bad.

They were right.

For the love.

Mrs. D July 9, 2010 at 9:31 am

LOVE the haircut! So handsome!

I hope he got it all out of his system in his 2′s and that the 3′s are much smoother… Happy birthday to your little man!

AngieB July 9, 2010 at 9:48 am

Oh my goodness he looks so grown up with the new haircut! I sincerely hope Three is a good year for you. With each of my boys it was the year I wanted to give them away to a passing band of gypsies but no one would take them.

Amanda July 9, 2010 at 9:53 am

The spilling liquid on library books and throwing a barbie house made me giggle a little….the terrible twos are one of the reasons I’m glad I don’t have a kid yet like 80% of my friends. Love his haircut and I hope things improve for you soon!

Bethany July 9, 2010 at 10:35 am

Good luck with the threes! He’s a cutie! That might save him…

Amo July 9, 2010 at 10:35 am

Oh my gosh, your son sounds like mine and mine won’t be two until next month! I have been spit on, hit in the face by flying fists, books, and Matchbox cars, my hair has been pulled until chunks of it come out in his hands. My son can definitely throw some monster temper tantrums. But, he can also be so sweet and forgiving and happy. I’m afraid my terrible twos started when he was about 18 months old. We’ve got a long way to go!!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 9, 2010 at 10:39 am

He was running on the counters!?!?!?!?! That would give me a heart attach. Boys are so clever aren’t they? They can climb up just about anything.

Love his grown up haircut.

Cheryl July 9, 2010 at 11:01 am

Aw, happy birthday! I guess this would be the wrong place to mention that 3? MUCH worse than two! So go grab some more booze, er, I mean, cake – you’ll need it!

Bren July 9, 2010 at 11:35 am

My daughter turned 3 yesterday so I am with you – all of the “terrible” stuff is just going to end!

Christopher (AKA: CaJoh) July 9, 2010 at 11:55 am

I love how the terrible two’s are to blame for the loss of your camera.

Happy birthday to him!!

Congratulations on surviving through the terrible two’s. The best of skill in making it through the rest of them as well.

Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation July 9, 2010 at 12:28 pm

A few things my dear:
1) Happy Birthday to Kainoa!!
2) I LOVE his haircut- he looks so handsome and grown up!
3) You do know that the Terrible Two’s just turn into the Terrible Three’s right?

MommaKiss July 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm

oh it’s got to be seriously bad if you leave TARGET! GASP!

happy birthday lil one. be good to your mama at 3, will ya (defy the odds)

Tracy P. July 9, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Happy Birthday, Kainoa! Thanks for providing us with endless entertainment!

Good luck Mama Kat. Good luck.

Mama Kat July 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm

You guys are not offering me a lot of hope here!!

k odell July 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm

lol- good luck with that.

I have a friend who’s kid sounds like yours. He’s about ten now, and with proper outings to release his energy (running 5 k’s and playing baseball) he’s a calmer kid. But when he was about 7, he ran away from school because a teacher told him no. He hopped a 10 foot fence, ran down the street, realized he was going the wrong way, rehopped the fence, ran across the school yard, climbed the other fence, and ran home.

each age has it’s own tribulations. My baby boy is 17 and knows everything.

brianne July 9, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I have always thought 3 was worse than 2. I hope it’s not that way for you! {Gosh I feel like a Debbie Downer! lol} Love his haircut! What a handsome guy! ^_^

The Ninja July 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Congrats on getting out of the terrible twos. I am still in them, and my kid is 6. Every year I say “This is the year!” Every year I have been wrong. If you do emerge from that tantrum throwing belligerent gimme want it screaming stomping feet stage…let me know the secret, k??

Cute haircut by the way!

Miss. Candy July 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm

He sounds like my son when he was two!!! I wish you luck girl!!!

Emmy July 9, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Wow his hair cut makes him look so much older, still so cute. And well nowmis probably not a good time to tell you 3 was than 2 for us.

Jen July 9, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Aw, he is so cute. I LOVE the haircut.

But hang on, Momma. The first half of year 3 was worse for us (Hayden and I) than the twos but with Jake and Quinn 3 is better. So I don’t know. Here’s hoping you get your wish.

ethnically ambiguous July 9, 2010 at 5:44 pm

“Crying incessantly for one thing and then crying harder when that thing is given to him and then harder yet again when, exasperated, the thing is taken back that made him cry harder only for him to cry still harder yet.”

why do they cry like that? My nearly 3 year old like monster wakes up crying/whining, cries because A then B then… cries/whines himself to sleep and I swear he even does it in his sleep! Does the whining EVER stop? :)

Courtney July 9, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Oh my goodness. Your story of Terrible Two sounds horrific! My 4th child has been 2 for 6 weeks. Whoa Nelly, have we seen some uprisings. Especially today with this heat.

I sincerely hope your Terrible Two does not grow into a Tyrannical Three. I’ve seen it happen. Good Luck!

Kimberly July 9, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Gosh I hate to say this but I thought 3 has been worse than 2 for us! My son will turn 4 in August. We have barely survived this year. Now that he “understands” and attempts to reason…we’ve walked into a whole new area of issues. I knew it was going to be a problem on his 3rd b-day last year when I asked him how old he was he replied, “mom…stop talking to me!!!”. Yikes!

June Freaking Cleaver July 9, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I’ve come to the conclusion that raising a boy is like raising another species, not just another gender.

He’s the most amazing and frustrating creature…and I may just love him more than the girls. Do not tell that fact to my daughters – I will deny saying it.

I do know that there is some special bond between a mom and her son…I’m convinced that’s what has kept me from letting the wolves finish raising him.

Nolie July 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Happy Birthday! Oh didn’t you hear? It’s called the trying 3′s. Just saying ;)

pam-tastic July 9, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Boy, you really have a knack for seeing the “glass half full”, don’t cha?

Erin July 9, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Happy Birthday Kainoa!! My oldest turned 3 in May…and everything you described was him to a T….when he turned 3! Soooo….we sent him to school. At least now…the tantrums don’t last 57 MINUTES! Yes that is right….a 57 minute tantrum! Maybe I should blog about that! (and yes I have no hair left)

Soooo glad those times are over….now if I can just make that whine go away! Ugghh!!!

Rebecca July 10, 2010 at 3:46 am

Oh God…I just posted about the TT’s, but I’m just beginning…with twins! Pray for me…or send wine…whatever is easier! He is one cute little dude with his new haircut though…love it!

Lynne July 10, 2010 at 4:35 am

My son’s phrase at that age was “me-do.” Thanks for the memories! Sixteen-year-olds bring their own set of problems. Oh, how I long for simple temper tantrums…lol

Fauzan February 27, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hi I am so delighted I found your blog, I rellay found you by error, while I was researching on Aol for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a remarkable post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

Sissy July 10, 2010 at 9:06 am

Aw, happy b-day Kainoa! Shhh. Let’s not spoil it for your mom by telling her 3 is so much worse than 2.

gaelikaa July 11, 2010 at 8:38 am

Well dearest Mama Kat; it will surely happen but not so overnight as that. But still, a milestone is crossed and that is good. Congrats all around, to both Mama and birthday boy!

Jenners July 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Oh … those eyes!!!

And if only birthdays were magical like that. A mom can dream, right?

M.Jay. July 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Happy birthday to him, dont I wish that the terrible two’s were only around for that year. My almost four year old son still has not gotten the memo yet…lol

momtaxijulie July 18, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I always thought 3 was way worse than 2. Hopefully that won’t be the case at your house lol. He definitly has the big boy hair now :)