Writer’s Workshop: Live Simply

Simple.

My Mom tells me to live simply.
She should know.
Six kids, a daycare, a dying husband, a house to clean, a lawn to mow.
She’s lived and learned and she KNOWS.
Live simply.

I should listen to her.
I know this.
I talk about expanding in business or upgrading our house
or having more babies, more pets, more.
She cringes.
Been there.
She begs me to listen to her.
Begs me to love my babies and watch them grow
and not to take on more than I need.
Live Simply.

But I am tempted by the glitter.
I must have the pretty things.
I get greedy for more.
To have more means to work more, to earn more, to do more.
To accumulate the pretty things I complicate my life.
What do you need? She says.
Live Simply.

I complicate my life for pretty things that will not follow me from here.
I do not listen to my mother.
I do not slow down.
I do not learn from her own regrets.
I do not live simply.

Who listens to their parents these days anyways?

mom

******************

1.) Simple.
2.) Angsty.
3.) Excruciating.
4.) Enchanted.
5.) Bold.

Comments

My Mom says the same thing, I say live life without regrets, and that isn’t simple!

But just for the record, I think you should have more babies! =)

Parents really do give such sage advice. I wish I would have taken more of it when my parents offered it.

I’m pretty sure my kids won’t listen to the advice I give them, either. I’m pretty sure that’s how you define “payback.”

If only life could be described as simple, would it not be simpler if I had everything, that way I would not have to do anything, right?

But the older we get, the more we realize, that our parents are always right.

That was lovely and so true! I have been trying to simply my life for years. As my children get older, it seems to get harder and harder to do. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned the importance of just living with the essentials to get by. When I had my first baby, I had two bouncers and every infant toy and new infant gadget under the sun. Now, with my third baby, I’ve borrowed must everything because none of these things really matter. Precious life is what really matters.

I just want to freeze time and enjoy every moment.

Don’t feel bad. No one listens to their moms anymore. I live a simple life though, perhaps not quite in the way you mean, but still, simple. Your mom would love me, I just know it!

If we all listened to our parents then we wouldn’t have to learn the hard way… where is the fun in that? At least they get to experience the feeling of always being right!

Your mom gives great advice though! I’m sure you’ll be giving it to your kids one day.

You mention your mom often in your posts. It’s nice to see what an obviously close relationship you have. Wise woman!
    btw, congrats on the new dog. He’s adorable. Even with ‘the eyes’.

I’m not sure if my own mother would give me such advice but I know my grandmother would!

I wish life were simpler. I wish we lived in times where one parent could stay home guaranteed with the kids. I wish there wasn’t so much temptation for more more more…

but then I wish I had an iPad…I’m screwed :)

What a wise woman. And beautiful, too.

I know how you feel – I live in the same house with a talking, walking, breathing example of the pointlessness of living for things and stuff. He had a stroke and all of a sudden, none of that mattered anymore. Now he doesn’t remember from day to day that he even HAS a Kindle, much less how to use it. Or a timeshare in Mexico which we can’t seem to unload, or a Lexus which he’s not allowed to drive anymore so it sits in the garage until we can get out of the lease which we can barely afford. He was always moremoremore…and now it doesn’t matter.

And yet I still want more. I don’t know why.

Yeah, who listens to their parents?
    I’ve always envied those women who can entertain their children with a shoe string and a box. I keep buying more stuff for my kids . . . more stuff for me.
    And why? You’ve got me thinking. I may (if I can conjure up enough energy) go through the play room to discard and donate. I feel like I’m drowning in a sea of useless stuff!

I absolutely loved this post. Your mom is so right, but I can see how it would be hard for you to heed her advice. Ten years ago I would not have wanted to simplify my life but now I do…and I am. And I’m pretty happy about living simply. Maybe when you get older (and more tired) like me, you’ll change your mind :)

I couldn’t agree with your mom more (except on the babies part)…I just don’t always put this advice into practice. I’m trying, though!

Beautiful post! Please listen to your mom on this one. Stop and watch the birds fly south for the winter; smell the pine; relax with a glass of wine…
    Happy Holidays!
    Elizabeth

I think this post was beautiful. “SImple” is not an easy concept. The glitz and glam call most of us…we want what others have, covet the greatest gadgets, fashions, and such. But to count our blessing and be truly, truly greatful -and satisfied- is to go against the grain of our society. THis was a very thought-inducing post…and I thank you for it!

@Crystal, I’m right there with you. Even as I sit here I think about things I “must have” or ways to make “more money”. I wish there was a switch I could just turn off!

This is very nice. Sometimes it’s hard to simplify our lives, it seems there is so much to do. But then we miss so much, yes listen to your Mom.

I haven’t been by in a while, not because I don’t love reading your blog (because I do) but because I’ve been too busy to read many blogs because I too have been adding too much crap to my life. I like glitter also. And camera lenses. And new shoes.

I really want to quit doing daycare. It makes me want to cry by how much I want to quit. But I take more kids so that I can bring in more money for our family. I LOVED this post. Thank you for the reminder.

This post really resonates with me. I often wish for more when I already have SO much. I have a hard time slowing down and enjoying the little things. Enjoying the simple pleasures in life is important and such good advice. :-)

I have longed for the simple life for years!!! one of these days I’ll live in a tiny house with a few possessions and lots of freedom from maintaining crap. You did a beautiful job on that poem :)

Ahh, she’s got it right, your mom. Simple can be just as addictive. Going into stores this time of year makes me want to hyperventilate. Glitter be gone.

Trackbacks