To Be Eight

October 14, 2011 · 23 comments

Post image for To Be Eight

Today my girl learns what it’s like to be eight.

What strikes me most about raising kids is how much they are exactly the people they were born being.

She’s gotten older, her hair is long, she’s loosing teeth…but the child who can’t sleep now when she’s nervous about math tests in the morning is the same baby I could NOT get to sleep at six months old.

The little girl now who dies laughing when her sister slips down a couple stairs is the same baby who cackled out loud for the first time when her cousin repeatedly hit himself in the head with a dinner menu.

She’s so different now…too big for my lap.

But she’s so still exactly the same.

Maile

For Maile:
Happy Fourth Birthday
Happy Fifth Birthday
Happy Sixth Birthday
Happy Seventh Birthday

Sue Robinson October 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm

She is beautiful. Happy birthday to your darling daughter.

Kathy October 15, 2011 at 3:11 am

Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl…..Hope she has an awesome day!
I love her smile!

Kristen October 15, 2011 at 3:57 am

I love how this post made me think of how both of my girls are still the same just bigger. My soon to be 10 year old sounds so much like Maile. I think they would understand each other and get along so well. My soon to be 8 year old is still the fearless one. I wish she could help her big sister relax a bit and to not be so anxious.
Happy belated birthday, Maile! You are beautiful girl just like your mama! The series of photos throughout the years made me smile and she’s not even mine!

Victoria KP October 15, 2011 at 4:22 am

Oh, you are SO right! They mostly get taller–they’re still the same person inside.

Melissa October 15, 2011 at 4:30 am

Happy Birthday, Maile! Love the pictures all together.

Mel October 15, 2011 at 4:32 am

She is so adorable! It is amazing how their personalities blossom but the still remain the little seed they were born as.

Janmary, N Ireland October 15, 2011 at 5:36 am

Great to see the growing up – my son was 7 this week and it was great being able to looh back over my blog and see him growing up.

See you in Atlanta!

Janmary, N Ireland October 15, 2011 at 5:36 am

See you in Atlanta!

SUPAHMAMA October 15, 2011 at 5:49 am

Here’s to 80 more! Happy Birthday, sweet girl!

Gigi October 15, 2011 at 6:04 am

Happy, happy birthday to your darling girl! I agree, I think we are born to be the people we are – and not to much changes. I can look at that giant, seventeen year old boy and still see the same person he was when he was tiny.

Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation October 15, 2011 at 6:39 am

Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter!!!

Bossy Betty October 15, 2011 at 6:47 am

May Eight Be Great! Happy birthday to your daughter and her mama too!

Katherine October 15, 2011 at 7:52 am

I had this same thought when looking back over pictures of my children, how they have always been so them.

Happy Birthday to your girl!

My Inner Chick October 15, 2011 at 8:30 am

—Mama,
She is beautiful. So many more years to become more beautiful from the “inside…out” x

Jen October 15, 2011 at 9:13 am

I just love her and I know that you do too. I hope that she has the best birthday.

Dana @ CheckingPockets October 15, 2011 at 10:13 am

Happy Birthday to your Maile! She shares her birthday with my son, who also turned 8 yesterday! They grow so fast.

June Freaking Cleaver October 15, 2011 at 10:42 am

Eight is a big birthday…only two years until she hits double digits, when she will know just EVERYTHING!

I hope she has a marvelous day!

Great pics!

Cheryl @ Mommypants October 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Oooh…I love this, how they are so different but so very much the same.

Also? Please tell me eight is better than seven. I *might* be counting the minutes til mine turns eight in December…

Mrs4444 October 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I totally agree. My son was colicky, and he outgrew that, but he often wore a scowl as a toddler. Today, he’s very friendly but somewhat serious/intense. Kendall came out smiling and has been doing so ever since!

MangoChutney October 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Happy Birthday Malie!! Its so surreal to see your “baby’ grow before your eyes, especially to know that they once were fragile and now they like to contest that they are as big as you are ;)

Marie October 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Would you please stop making me cry?

Actually, I love it. You have such a gift with words and your family is beautiful.

Am I turning into one of those crazy “we’re going to be BFF bloggers?”. Hee hee.

Anyway, a very happy birthday to Maile, and a happy “birth day” to you.

-MM

jo@blog-diggidy October 15, 2011 at 5:33 pm

happy birthday maile!! hope it’s all you hoped for and so much more!! you are a beautiful young lady!! your parents must be so very proud of you!!

tracy@sellabitmum October 16, 2011 at 3:32 am