To Be Eight

Today my girl learns what it’s like to be eight.

What strikes me most about raising kids is how much they are exactly the people they were born being.

She’s gotten older, her hair is long, she’s loosing teeth…but the child who can’t sleep now when she’s nervous about math tests in the morning is the same baby I could NOT get to sleep at six months old.

The little girl now who dies laughing when her sister slips down a couple stairs is the same baby who cackled out loud for the first time when her cousin repeatedly hit himself in the head with a dinner menu.

She’s so different now…too big for my lap.

But she’s so still exactly the same.

Maile

For Maile:
Happy Fourth Birthday
Happy Fifth Birthday
Happy Sixth Birthday
Happy Seventh Birthday

Comments

I love how this post made me think of how both of my girls are still the same just bigger. My soon to be 10 year old sounds so much like Maile. I think they would understand each other and get along so well. My soon to be 8 year old is still the fearless one. I wish she could help her big sister relax a bit and to not be so anxious.
    Happy belated birthday, Maile! You are beautiful girl just like your mama! The series of photos throughout the years made me smile and she’s not even mine!

She is so adorable! It is amazing how their personalities blossom but the still remain the little seed they were born as.

Happy, happy birthday to your darling girl! I agree, I think we are born to be the people we are – and not to much changes. I can look at that giant, seventeen year old boy and still see the same person he was when he was tiny.

I had this same thought when looking back over pictures of my children, how they have always been so them.

Happy Birthday to your girl!

Oooh…I love this, how they are so different but so very much the same.

Also? Please tell me eight is better than seven. I *might* be counting the minutes til mine turns eight in December…

I totally agree. My son was colicky, and he outgrew that, but he often wore a scowl as a toddler. Today, he’s very friendly but somewhat serious/intense. Kendall came out smiling and has been doing so ever since!

Happy Birthday Malie!! Its so surreal to see your “baby’ grow before your eyes, especially to know that they once were fragile and now they like to contest that they are as big as you are ;)

Would you please stop making me cry?

Actually, I love it. You have such a gift with words and your family is beautiful.

Am I turning into one of those crazy “we’re going to be BFF bloggers?”. Hee hee.

Anyway, a very happy birthday to Maile, and a happy “birth day” to you.

-MM