Writer’s Workshop: The Snipe Hunt

February 22, 2012 · 45 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: The Snipe Hunt

2.) A time you were tricked.

I didn’t believe in killing animals but Bob promised we wouldn’t be hurting them. He was an avid hunter so it makes sense that I wouldn’t trust him completely.

“No I mean it! It’s a family tradition!”

I had never heard of a Snipe before. Bob described it as a bird-like critter and I envisioned a cross between a quail and a penguin. The mystery behind the hunt and the possibility of maybe catching the strange animal did have an appeal to me. The whole family seemed to be looking forward to it.

“You guys ready for the Snipe hunt!?!”

“Who needs a bag?”

“I’ve got flashlights!! Anyone need a flashlight??”

The skepticism I had was fading as it got darker. You can only Snipe hunt in the dark. That’s when they come out.

“Okay we need a group of chasers and a group of catchers! If you’ve caught before than you need to chase this time…let’s go ahead and break up!”

The chasers went to one end of the field and us catchers stayed behind with our paper bags and flashlights. When you shine your flashlight through the end of the paper bag the frightened Snipes (chased by the chasers) run towards the light and BAM! You close your paper bag.

Snipe caught.

So the time came.

We tip toed out into the wide open field. Pitch black dark, shining stars, whispers and excitement. We were ready! Everyone got into position and then we heard it…Bob made the call to run and the chasers ran and yelled and banged sticks. I waited readily with the bag, nerves pounding, the chasers getting closer…oh my gosh what am I going to do with BIRD!?!

The birds hit the bags, but mine tore right through the other side. The only thing I had to show for the Snipe hunt was a giant hole through the bottom of my bag. I looked around to see if anyone had gotten lucky, but all I found were a whole lot of giggling experienced campers.

No one caught a Snipe that day.

BECAUSE THERE WERE NO SNIPES TO CATCH.

1.) Capture what it’s like to spend a day or a moment talking with your kiddo. (inspired by Big Mama Cass)
2.) A time you were tricked.
3.) An ordinary day told by photos. (inspired by Baby Rabies)
4.) I wish I could…
5.) What is the one ‘vice’ you can’t give up? (inspired by Mommalogues)

Gretchen February 22, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Well…I have to admit that as a teenager in Texas, this was our favorite “humiliate the Yankee” pasttime! The first time I brought my New Yorker husband to my best friend’s ranch, my old friends all desperately wanted to take him snipe hunting, but I just HAD to save the poor man, or I knew he’d never forgive me!

Mama Kat February 23, 2012 at 6:58 am

Ha! See this is totally a mean hazing trick for newbie campers! So nice of you to spare your man. :)

Brooke @ Covered in Grace February 23, 2012 at 12:49 am

Ha!! Too funny!

Gretchen, I grew up in Texas too and I’ve never heard of snipes… I think it’s hilarious, though..the idea of playing a fun little game like that. Hahaha

Mama Kat February 23, 2012 at 6:58 am

The family definitely got a kick out of that one!

Stacey February 23, 2012 at 1:02 am

So funny! I grew up in Wyoming and we loved to take the new out-of-state move ins snipe hunting. It made for great entertainment!

Mama Kat February 23, 2012 at 6:59 am

It might be a good way to bond with new neighbors too! I might just have to try it with our next new neighbors. Who says you can’t snipe hunt in the suburbs??

Yvonne February 23, 2012 at 1:32 am

lol, what a wonderful story. You just made my day!

Yvonne, the Netherlands

Mama Kat February 23, 2012 at 7:00 am

Yvonne do they have snipes in the Netherlands? Maybe you could put together a fun little “hunting trip” for your friends. ;)

Ducky February 23, 2012 at 2:27 am

Yes… The ole Trick A City Slicker…. Snipe hunting. Teehee makes me giggle thinking about you out there with a bag. Do glad you survived thd hunting trip *ahem*

Sorta Southern Single Mom February 23, 2012 at 3:27 am

See, now in those types of situations, I freely admit to having no sense of humor! I can take a lot, but I would not have passed that test!

Mama Kat February 23, 2012 at 7:08 am

Haha! You would have been like “Well THAT was a huge waste of time!”

Dianna February 23, 2012 at 3:35 am

Yep, they got you!

Mrs. Weber February 23, 2012 at 5:43 am

I’m so glad to know about this now so I can’t be tricked like this!

Mama Kat February 23, 2012 at 7:09 am

Thank you, If I can reach just one person with this message about snipe hunting than I feel I’ve done my job.

Victoria KP February 23, 2012 at 5:51 am

That was Hilarious. I can totally see myself sneaking around in the woods with a big bag looking for snipe.

Jennifer@ The Mommy Mambo February 23, 2012 at 6:15 am

Every Saturday night here in Texas some poor unsuspecting soul falls prey to the Snipe Hunt! Suckers! LOL But what a story to tell, huh? Thanks for lasts weeks mention ;)

imperfectmomma February 23, 2012 at 6:34 am

teehee….I may or may not be laughing at the fact that you were tricked.

Marie February 23, 2012 at 6:41 am

This reminds me of the story my in-laws tell about my husband. The adults sent the kids on a snipe hunt and everyone but Craig (my husband) came back empty handed. Craig was so proud of himself when he got back to camp and showed off what was in his bag: a live raccoon. REALLY? A raccoon? That night was the last time his parents sent him snipe hunting.

Mama Kat February 23, 2012 at 7:16 am

Well THAT totally back fired on them. :)

A raccoon!?! How in the world did he catch a raccoon!?! Hahaha!

Marie February 23, 2012 at 8:25 am

Apparently, he baited it with leftovers and snuck up on it. Good grief. It was probably sick and that’s how he was able to catch it. Good thing it didn’t bite him. :)

Amy February 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm

bawhahahaha… that is hilarious!!!

Arnebya @whatnowandwhy February 23, 2012 at 6:52 am

Well hell, I feel tricked! It took me a minute to even figure out the trick so I can only imagine myself in that moment completely dumbfounded. At least now I can giggle w/the rest of y’all.

Bossy Betty February 23, 2012 at 7:07 am

Intriguing prompt. OK, OK, I admit to being the kid tricked into a snipe hunt. OK? (Ohhhhh, I feel that twitch in my eyelids coming back! Nooooo!!!!!)

Kristy @PampersandPinot February 23, 2012 at 7:17 am

That’s funny. Reminds me of Kevin on Up – we just watched it last night!

morgan February 23, 2012 at 7:51 am

Had me grinning through the whole post … too funny!

Julia February 23, 2012 at 7:52 am

I’ve never heard of snipes but what a great way to trick a kid.

Jen February 23, 2012 at 8:02 am

Wait?! What there is no such thing as a snipe?

Well that is just balls.

Marie February 23, 2012 at 8:25 am

LOL!!!!

Mama Kat February 24, 2012 at 7:07 am

Bingo.

Kaye February 23, 2012 at 8:34 am

that is hilarious. When I was a girls camp leader it was always tradition to take the first year girls out snipe hunting. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Andrea February 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

When I was in JR HIGH, we went on a nauga hunt! So as to make Nauga Hide! Yep no naugas…. But the teachers thought they were hilarious!

Marta February 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

Lol. I would have fallen for it too. When I moved to Minnesota my husband told me about pheasants. I thought they were made up, but they actually are real =)

mine, anonymously February 23, 2012 at 10:55 am

When I was a kid we would go to girls camp every year for church, when I was a youth leader my little sister was a first year, and she just so happend to be in my group, a long with her best friend. Me and the other leaders decided that since we knew most of these girls we were not going to take it easy. (They were also quite possible the most dramatic girls in the entire camp).
To catch snipes it is helpful to dab some toothpaste on your face an arms because the smell attracts them. My girls were dedicated, and applied full facials and sleeves of toothpaste (have fun washing that off with no hot water). Anyways log story short (I don’t really remember the details) but it ends with my sisters friend getting “bit”, plenty of screaming, and few tears. (Did I mention these girls were dramatic?)
Youth Leaders: 1 Weenies:0

Jennifer February 23, 2012 at 11:52 am

You are the first person I’ve ever known to fall for this.

AutismWonderland February 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I totally would have fallen for it too!

meleah rebeccah February 23, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Too funny, how they tricked you! HA!

Angel February 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Ahh the elusive snipe.. does it give you any relief knowing it is an animal hunted on every first time camper. Ok well not everyone cause I grew up with hunters and guns and knew the crap behind the fun.. but it sure was fun fooling some who didn’t.

Paula Kiger February 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Snipe hunts – yep- been there and done that, at Girl Scout camp! Memories…….

Mary February 25, 2012 at 9:10 am

Hi Mama Kat! For quite a while now, I’ve been noticing quite a few of my blog buddies participating in the Writer’s Workshop every week, so I finally decided to pop over and join in on the fun. Love the concept and I’m looking forward to my first workshop this coming week!

Also newly following on FB, Twitter and through RSS. See you on Thursday!

Mary at Spilled On The Kitchen Table

Lynnie February 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Crap. I thought this story was going to make me feel better about the time I was talked into going rabbit hunting by my EX fiance. I confess….I shot a rabbit and really just wounded it and it screamed (yes screamed) for about 2 min before it died. Your story was much funnier than murdering baby bunnies.

Amy February 28, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I laughed out loud — great story! This is my first time participating in the prompt — I see it ‘talked’ about all over twitter and fb. I am so glad I stopped by… a good laugh just what I need before tucking the little ones in.

Susan in the Boonies March 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Snipe hunting is kind of like trying to make money on a blog…don’t you think?

Jean Summers March 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Kat – When I first read this I didn’t read the title, I just started reading. When I saw it was about dad and hunting, I cringed and wondered where you were going to go with it. Then I read “I had never heard of a snipe” and laughed out loud! Dad was a MASTER!!! If it helps, he also got my 20-something-year-old future sister-in-law. He managed to sneak a large stuffed animal into her bag and made it wiggle by touching the bottom of the bag. Her reaction was classic!!! If you haven’t heard your mom’s story about how he got her with the “smoke changer”, it is worth asking about! Thanks for the GREAT MEMORIES!!!