Writer’s Workshop: There’s Still Hope

August 22, 2012 · 28 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: There’s Still Hope

1.) What do your kids have that you always wanted when you were a kid?

When I was little I had this dream that one day I would have a giant farm and on that farm there would be a pond and across that pond would be a bridge.

Someday I would wear a beautiful pink pettidress that would spread out all around me as I sat on that bridge reading a book with my feet dangling and my loyal black lab perched to my side.

A horse of course...

At the end of the bridge, my horse would be grazing and upon finishing my chapter I would ride the horse back home. Together through the open pastures of my fields, my horse and I would gallop and frolic and laugh and everyone would want to know who that pretty girl on the fast horse was.

IMG_9648

But instead I grew up, married a very NON cowboy, nary a pond in sight.

My horse riding dreams…are gone.

More horses from earlier today.

I will never be that girl.

And while I may never have the pastures or the pond or the lab or the bridge…for them?

IMG_9635

THERE’S STILL HOPE!

Laina and Chocolate

I have recently enrolled the girls in horse riding lessons.

Riding...

That pink pettidress is next on my list. The dream will LIVE ON!

(video here)

1.) What do your kids have that you always wanted when you were a kid?
2.) You were supposed to start a garden this summer…share the fruits of your labor.
3.) Aside from your kids, pets, your husband, your coffee and your wine…what makes you smile?
4.) Write about something that complicates your life.
5.) Share your writing process. How long does it take an idea in your head to get published on your blog?

Jessica August 22, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I’m glad there is still hope for your kids. I hope they enjoy the lessons.

Gingerj August 22, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Nothing like living out our own missed childhood dreams through our kids…isn’t that why we have kids for anyways?!?! LOL!

MarytheKay August 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I always wanted a farm and horses, too!!! I just love the pics of your girls on the horses–so fun!

Jamie@southmainmuse August 23, 2012 at 12:09 am

okay confession. I think horses are the most beautiful creatures…but when you get right up to them. They are HUGE. Now I’m not a small person but they are much bigger and stronger than I. I soo wish I felt comfortable around them. Not the white-knuckled hanging onto the western saddle rider that I am. So good for your girls to do this while they are young. I’m a bit jealous.

Sue August 23, 2012 at 3:31 am

Oh, you and I had the same dream. And I did get the lessons. But the farm? Darn stingy parents.

Mrs. Weber August 23, 2012 at 4:25 am

I SO hoped for horses as a child as well. Then, I took care of my neighbors for a weekend…WOW. They are a lot of work!

I think you’re doing the right thing by letting your girls take lessons, but not actually OWN the horseys. Hope the pink pettidress soon follows :)

Dakotapam August 23, 2012 at 4:53 am

I never was the farm and horses girl. I was more the city with mass transit and the ballet girl. And, as irony would have it, I live close to the country and most of my friends have horses, farms or both. Go figure. So then, I want my girls to be ballerinas and they are going to want to ride horse:)

Shell August 23, 2012 at 5:22 am

Love it! Go get your pink dress, girl!

Jennie@gotmyreservations August 23, 2012 at 5:23 am

Although it was never my dream — I’m still hoping for a lakefront highrise in Chicago — having horses was my friend’s dream, and for her, the dream came true. She married the son of a famous jockey who she met coincidentally (no master plan involved), has horses and rides them in shows, and is part of a “horsey” lifestyle in her part of the country. She truly is living her dream and I’m thrilled for her. I loved your story today!

Katie August 23, 2012 at 6:02 am

My kids had ballet lessons because I wanted to be a ballerina. Neither of them were interested. They do like horses.

May August 23, 2012 at 6:03 am

The girls look soooo happy!

Robin | Farewell, Stranger August 23, 2012 at 6:21 am

Very cool!

And I think that calls for a vlog in a pink dress…

Diane@BeStillaMinute August 23, 2012 at 6:56 am

I never had a horse or a pony but my childhood best friend got a pony one year for Christmas that she kept in her grandmother’s pasture. He wasn’t exactly the nicest pony. I don’t think he even liked us but that didn’t stop us from riding him bareback, right up until the day he threw me off, knocking the breath out of me and nearly decapitating my friend by dragging us under a steel cable. Fun memories!

Bruna August 23, 2012 at 7:13 am

Your kids are so lucky! I always wanted to ride horses when I was a kid. Your dream sounds pretty darn cool.

Maggie S. August 23, 2012 at 7:23 am

That’s so wonderful! Oooh, I had a little of that dream, too.

Bobbi August 23, 2012 at 8:06 am

That’s so great that they have a love of horses! I did too at that age and my parents signed me up for riding lessons and about a year later I got my very own horse (my sister says I was spoiled, I say lucky) and have had horses ever since.
They are beautiful, wonderful creatures and your girls will have so much fun!

[email protected] August 23, 2012 at 8:47 am

When I was a youngin’ I always wanted a horse…or few. Never happened for me. :( Love that your girls are getting the chance and they look like they’re having a blast!

~Angela

Julia August 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

Don’t you love how you get an idea in your head about how something should be and then life ends up totally different.

Andrea August 23, 2012 at 9:14 am

I’m still hoping for the farm! That is so awesome. Every kid needs to know how to ride a horse.

Missy August 23, 2012 at 10:03 am

Isn’t a wonderful thing to give our kids their dreams? And hope is such a beautiful thing.

Casey August 23, 2012 at 10:40 am

The closest I got is living in a country-ish suburb outside of Dallas where horses graze in various fields inbetween neighborhoods. At least someone gets to have them!

Jen August 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Why else did we have children if we can’t live our dreams through them?

I love it.

Mimi August 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Don’t give up hope. I got my first horse when I was in my early 30s (thanks mom!). I dreamed of being a cowgirl and marrying a rancher. Yah, neither of those happened. I wasn’t able to ride much when I got my horse, so I lived vicariously through my daughter!

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits August 24, 2012 at 4:44 am

Lucky! I always wanted a pony when I was little but I didn’t have horse back riding lessons either…

AnnMarie August 24, 2012 at 8:24 am

I LOVE horseback riding! I haven’t done it in the longest time but loved when I did it every summer. Great prompts. Thank goodness for these to help me through the yuckiness that is writer’s block.

Kisatrtle August 25, 2012 at 3:55 am

Horses sort of scare the crap out of me, so my kids can only ride them at camp…far away from me. Lol

Just Jennifer August 25, 2012 at 11:05 am

My mother loves horses, and so does my daughter. It totally skipped a generation. Lucky for my girl, her grandmother has horses and she gets to go to horse camp!