10 Years Married To The Wrong Man

November 30, 2012 · 16 comments

Post image for 10 Years Married To The Wrong Man

We sat at my Grandma and Grandpa’s house with my sisters and brothers and we were all, “it’s your anniversary!?!”

And Grandpa, with that teasing glint in his eye, was all, “yep sure is…52 years married to the wrooooong woman.”

And we were all “Grandpa!!”

And Grandma was all, “Oh shush Joe!” and she turned to us and said, “He’s been singing that song to me every year since we been married…just tacks on another year married to the wrong woman.”

I, on the other hand, forget our anniversary every year. Two years ago I wrote about how I forgot and he remembered and waited for me to remember, but I didn’t until he told me and then I got mad at him for remembering but still not getting me anything.

Last year we both forgot. Completely. Did nothing.

This year he remembered AND? Surprised me with plans he actually put together all by himself! HE arranged a mysterious activity. HE arranged for the kids to be watched overnight at Grandma’s house. And he asked me to take Friday off so he could whisk me away to…I don’t even know where.

I don’t know where because my kid got sick and we had to cancel all our plans.

Tonight I celebrated ten years married to the wrong man over Olive Garden take out while our kids stuffed their faces with McDonald’s and cookies.

Perfection.

Arnebya November 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm

That’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? The crap anniversaries that mirror the crap dates we had? Perfection. I wouldn’t change anything. Oh sure, he can surprise me with trips and all but I’ll still be craving bad pizza from the newest hole in the wall he found that serves giant slices for $1.

Kim@Co-Pilot Mom December 1, 2012 at 5:10 am

Sounds like a lovely celebration. Happy 10th Anniversary!

Mama Melch December 1, 2012 at 6:38 am

Congratulations on 10 years of an imperfectly crazy life together. :-)

Tracy P. December 1, 2012 at 6:48 am

Happy anniversary! Your marriage may well be my favorite thing about your blog. Thank God for Pat! :-)

Gigi December 1, 2012 at 7:07 am

Happy anniversary!

Chris Carter December 1, 2012 at 8:46 am

That is both hilarious and CLASSIC!! We manage to remember but never have had the chance to actually “celebrate” it because of the kids’ health issues every winter. So I can completely relate!!! I started our marriage off on a good foot though! But as I wrote on this post- by year 3… there was nothing left. LOL

Jen December 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

Aw, man!

Happy Anniversary.

Jamie@southmainmuse December 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Happy 10th year together. Our anniversary is right before Christmas and it’s not that I forget so much as there is always a party or we are too tired to care. This year will be our 24th. And it’s a Monday night. That is a recipe for p-a-r-t-y. Woo.

Blunt Brunette December 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Loving the love!

tori nelson December 3, 2012 at 4:22 am

Romance at the Olive Garden. Brilliant :) I have yet to remember our anniversary. The husband on the other hand is one skilled covert ninja date planner. I’m always surprised and he’s always suprised that I’m still surprised.

Jenni Chiu @ MommyNaniBooboo December 3, 2012 at 9:28 am

*sigh* That’s very close to what ours was like last year. Funny how the life we make with our partner doesn’t actually pause for us to celebrate its beginnings.

Bridget @ Le. Rheims December 3, 2012 at 10:07 am

Yeah, that’s normally us. Anniversary dinner over Applebees takeout and a Redbox movie while the kids sleep. So adventurous. :)

Kim @ This Belle Rocks December 3, 2012 at 11:17 am

Congrats on ten years! I’ll raise my glass to ten more for you :)

SnipeWife December 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

As we usually celebrate apart and then do something together when he finally gets home, this sounds perfect. We went to the Grand Canyon for our 10th about three months after the fact. Congrats on 10 years!

Jennifer December 4, 2012 at 4:29 pm

How awesome that he tried though. He’s a keeper.

OneMommy December 5, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Happy anniversary! Sounds like a perfect evening to me, too.