Writer’s Workshop: Luscious Four Layer Pumpkin Cake!

November 21, 2012 · 31 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: Luscious Four Layer Pumpkin Cake!

1.) Share a favorite Thanksgiving Recipe.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a confession.

Last year at this time I did a whole sweet potato casserole video and was all “you’re going to be the hit of the party at Thanksgiving dinner when you make this!” I was disappointed to see that video did not go viral. I mean…I put a lot of energy into it and even took a bite of a raw sweet potato. Or yam. Or whatever that was. And nothing says “viral” like eating raw vegetables. Or starch? I don’t know what the hell that thing is.

What I’m trying to say is my casserole was a bust at dinner. My family took a couple bites after I begged them, but I wound up taking that whole damn tray back home. My sister confided it was the “presentation” of the meal that might have discouraged people from digging in. She discouraged me from bringing tin foil platters to future potlucks. I also know my family has never really had “sweet potato casserole” before and they’re not really the type to just “try new things” on whim.

But I haven’t given up. I WILL be making my sweet potato casserole again this year and I WILL improve the presentation. I’ve already purchased some beautiful glassware to improve my presentation.

In addition, I will be bringing another new dish for my family! Instead of feeling discouraged by my family’s resistance to new foods, I welcome the challenge.

My friends,

I bring to you…

Luscious Four Layer Pumpkin Cake!

(video here.)

You can find the full recipe at Kraft Foods!

1.) Share a favorite Thanksgiving Recipe.
2.) We’re going around the table and it’s your turn to share what you are thankful for…go!
3.) Tell us about a favorite Thanksgiving tradition.
4.) Picture time! Show us what Fall is looking like in your neck of the woods!
5.) Black Friday shopping…

The Literary Lioness November 21, 2012 at 11:38 pm

That pie looks absolutely delicious!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

The Literary Lioness November 21, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I meant that CAKE looks absolutely delicious!

Emily Cullen November 21, 2012 at 11:45 pm

It looks incredible but I would be sure to f*ck it up. Happy Thanksgiving!

Mama Kat November 22, 2012 at 8:42 am

If *I* can do it? ANYONE can do it!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Rebecca November 22, 2012 at 12:42 am

I have had some spectacular wins and some spectacular fails surrounding Thanksgiving. This year, I’m giving it up to the pros… heading to a fancy hotel. Let us know how that delish cake went over with your family. They’d be fools to ignore it.

Mama Kat November 22, 2012 at 8:43 am

Oh a fancy hotel is the way to my heart. That sounds like a delightful way to spend Thanksgiving!!

Melissa November 22, 2012 at 1:43 am

Who scoffs at a dish because of the tin pan?? Certainly no one in my family. As my mom would say, “does this look like the a** of a woman who is afraid to try new foods?” I say bring on the sweet potato casserole AND the pumpkin cake. What time should I show up for dinner? :)

Mama Kat November 22, 2012 at 8:44 am

Oh my gosh I have never heard that saying before, but I will never forget it. SO funny and SO true!! Hahaha! Yes, I definitely don’t have an ass that is afraid to try new foods…tin foil pan be damned!

Kim@Co-Pilot Mom November 22, 2012 at 2:56 am

The cake looks delish – it will be a total hit, for sure. And your sweet potato casserole sounds great, too. (Tin pan or no.) Also, I love your oven! :)

Mama Kat November 22, 2012 at 8:45 am

My only concern is that the recipe DID say “eat immediately” and not “create a video, refrigerate overnight, wait a day, and THEN serve”…soooo….I mean at least it’s still pretty. :)

tori nelson November 22, 2012 at 3:05 am

This one will be a hit for sure :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Single Mom in the South November 22, 2012 at 3:42 am

oh dear! Two of the three pies I’m bringing today are in foil pans because a. I’ve never owned more than two pie plates b. One of those broke earlier this year and I didn’t replace it and c. After making pumpkin and apple, I decided we simply MUST have chocolate chess too!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mama Kat November 22, 2012 at 8:46 am

FOIL PANS!?! Have you learned nothing in life!?! ;)

I have a feeling you can serve pie in anything and the people will still come to eat it.

Jamie@southmainmuse November 22, 2012 at 3:51 am

I now know what “folding” in baking lingo means. It’s been a good day

Mama Kat November 22, 2012 at 8:46 am

Well I mean…I just kind of made it up, but it felt right.

Sue November 22, 2012 at 5:49 am

I just want the filling from between the layers. Can I come over?

Mama Kat November 22, 2012 at 8:47 am

When I cracked open that tub of Cool Whip my girls both asked for a bowl to eat on their own. Sounds like they would fit in perfectly with your family! ;)

Diane@BeStillaMinute November 22, 2012 at 6:24 am

Very impressive cake baking skills you’ve got there, girl! They are going to eat that thing up for sure. Happy Thanksgiving!

Karen and Gerard November 22, 2012 at 7:40 am

Now that looks good! I would definitely have a piece! Much better than a sweet potato casserole.

Mama Kat November 22, 2012 at 8:48 am

I’m still bringing that damn casserole! Someone’s going to eat it!!

Mimi November 22, 2012 at 8:25 am

Dang it! Where was this recipe yesterday when I could’ve gone out and gotten all of the ingredients? Sigh…I guess I’ll just bring over my bottle of water and eat whatever’s put before me. btw it looks scrumptious!

Mama Kat November 22, 2012 at 8:48 am

Well just bookmark it for next year. I’m sure you’ll remember. ;)

Julia November 22, 2012 at 9:31 am

This looks delicious. I eat pumpkin straight from the can so I would love to dive into this.

NatteringNic November 22, 2012 at 10:59 am

Yams? *screwing my face up like a 4 year old who has just come face-to-face with a bowl of brussel sprouts.* Ewwww!! Your pumpkin cake however looks *divine*.

Sara Carbaugh November 22, 2012 at 11:28 am

That looks awesome!!! I really loved how when your daughter started up the mixer you could see the smallest amount of fear in your eyes! Lol I do the same thing when I cook with my daughter because I want to let her help, but the minute she goes to add something or mix something I get a small panic attack… hehe

Darcy November 22, 2012 at 11:59 am

I don’t think I’d be able to cut apart those layers right so mine would just be a two layer cake but wow it looks delicious. Love your kitchen set up too ;)

Daree November 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Miriam Gomberg November 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

The cake looked yummy. Did the family go for it better than the casserole? Hope you had a terrific feast. M

Marta November 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Since I’m reading this post Thanksgiving all I can think is how I may never eat again I’m so full. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

If I Could Escape November 24, 2012 at 7:56 am

Oh my gawd! That looks like heaven. And, it’s pumpkin? I kinda have a thing for pumpkins! I could do some serious heavy petting with that! Mwahahaha!

Jennifer November 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Girl…. I ain’t too proud to eat out of a tin foil pan. Less clean up seems smart to me. I like to eat the cooking of smart people.