Halloween Take And Give Back

November 3, 2012 · 10 comments

Post image for Halloween Take And Give Back

I traded in my three adorable, angelic children in for a fire chief, a Greek Goddess and a cowgirl on Halloween night. Our first stop was to the Spooktacular Event at WestField SouthCenter where the kids hopped from store to store collecting goodies from various shops and restaurants.

After that we met up with cousins for an evening trick or treating. The kids filled their bags with WAY too much candy…

And then we took it to Molen Othrodontics the next day to sell it.

My favorite local orthodontist is always doing something to help give back and educate our community. In this case they were buying Halloween candy from kids and donating the goodies to food banks and homeless shelters. This year they raised 2200 lbs. of candy and 947 cans of food!

And? My kids made a total of $17.

Of course I took all that money as payment for the long evening I spent driving them around town….so I guess everything is a wash.

What was the highlight from your Halloween festivities?

Karen and Gerard November 4, 2012 at 2:22 am

I never heard of such a thing. That’s wonderful!

Kisatrtle November 4, 2012 at 4:33 am

Clever that the ortho bought it back. How does he decide how much to pay?

AnnMarie November 4, 2012 at 6:41 am

I need to find someone over here that will do that. I’d love to trade candy for cash. Your kids look adorable in their costumes.

Mimi November 4, 2012 at 6:45 am

I love when dentists/orthodontists do that! I took my son around town and for the first time started on the outskirts of town at the businesses that were dead. That kid came home with full size candy bars! They also blocked off Main St. for the first time with fire engines so the families could TorT safely. And we only have one “main” street. =)

Jen November 4, 2012 at 7:04 am

I kinda love that you can give your kid’s candy to someone and they get money. I would like to do that with all the candy in my house. I could probably buy a lot of wine with that money. ;-)

Shell November 4, 2012 at 7:26 am

What an awesome idea! I’d like to do that so I wouldn’t have to hide it…

Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life November 4, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Wow, what a great idea!

Bridget @ Le. Rheims November 4, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I must be a terrible mother because I totally remember the joy of eating way too much candy myself when I was little and so I let them keep it all and eat it over the next couple of months and then get rid of whatever might be left before Christmas. I mean, yes, of course, I exercise the customary “candy tax” (read: the husband and I eat whatever we want in the evenings when the kids are in bed) but other than that, we tend to let them have at it. There’s a reason Halloween isn’t an everyday thing :)

Charity Deleon November 5, 2012 at 5:44 am

That’s awesome! I actually collect all the candy as we trick or treat. As there buckets start to fill they have to empty it into my big bag and when we get home it get’s locked up and they get a piece or two day. Since I don’t buy them candy or junk food often I keep the candy but I love this idea! Maybe I’ll look into it for next year…it’s a good lesson.

Marta November 5, 2012 at 10:56 am

Love the Halloween candy buy back idea. I heard about it on the news recently and googled yesterday places near me that do it. Hope to do it this afternoon!