Writer’s Workshop: Say No To Chalkboard Paint

1.) A trend you can’t stand.

Chalk happens to be my arch nemesis. And I’m not just talking about nails on chalkboards, I’m talking about actual chalk. The texture of chalk, the sound it makes when used on anything, the dust that falls while drawing, the feeling of erasing the chalk, the grittiness of chalkboard…I mean everrrrrything about chalk causes me to cringe.

Enter the Chalk Board Paint Movement of 2012.

We now have chalkboard paint, chalkboard spray paint, chalkboard contact paper…

And everywhere I go is another crafty blog post encouraging the world to turn every household item you can think of…into a CHALKBOARD. And to this I say why? Why crafters? Are we re-creating something we missed in the classroom? That longing to write on the teacher’s chalkboard? We progressed to white boards and projectors for so many wonderful reasons.

But no, you insist on chalkboard.

Chalk board walls.

Chalkboard tables.

Chalkboard wine bottles.

Chalkboard wine glasses.

Chalk board ornaments.

Chalk board mugs.

Chalk board photo effects.

Chalk board wall calendars

Chalk board cabinets.

Chalkboard bedrooms.

Chalkboard Christmas cards.

Chalkboard Stairs.

Your entire HOMES ARE MADE OF CHALKBOARD…I’m convinced of it!

And don’t act like your chalkboard creation would come out looking even halfway as cool as you’re seeing on Pinterest. We all know none of us real people can draw and our creations will end up looking more like this:

This is a plea to mothers across the nation…just say no to chalkboard paint. Can we put an end to this grating trend?

Perhaps introduce a whiteboard trend for 2013? Or might I suggest we scrap them both for some old fashioned paint or wallpaper. I know it sounds outdated, but I think we can make it cool again!

1.) A trend you can’t stand.
2.) What did you learn from your best boss?
3.) Write a letter to Santa and let him know what you’d like to see under your tree this year.
4.) Share your top 8 favorite Christmas crafts you’ve seen on the internet that you might actually try if you had the time and the tools.
5.) Saturday morning at your house…

Comments

1. Kate @ Mommy Monologues says

Oh no! I’d have chalk board paint everywhere if I could!!! Haha!

See my house looks like that last pic WITHOUT chalkboard paint, being a me to erase the color off the walls would be a nice change.

I’m glad we both disagree with each others least favorite trends…I will wear my mullet dress with pride and you can chalkboard paint to your heart’s content! ;)

2. Kate @ Mommy Monologues says

Oh no! I’d have chalk board paint everywhere if I could!!! Haha!

3. Vanessa says

Oh! I am SO with you on this! Just today I had a full-on body shudder thinking about some chalkboard DIY project I saw. I hate everything about the texture of chalkboards and chalk.

DOWN WITH CHALK 2012. I’ll sign the petition.

Now we just need someone to create the petition…preferably out of paper and not chalkboard. That would seem counter productive.

I agree, that stuff just looks tacky after a while. When my sons were younger and we were a MUCH busier family, I considered painting a portion of one of our small walls in chalkboard, for entertainment for them, and flexible reminders for me. However, I resisted because I knew the chalk wouldn’t be contained to the chalkboard once I turned my back. So I kept a paper wall calendar and my kids had a Little Tyles Double Easel. Problems solved!

I would like to point out that a friend of mine has painted a small wall in her kitchen in chalkboard paint, and it looks fine. Pretty neat, even! But when you start covering anything and everything in chalkboard paint? A big ol’ mess waiting to happen.

Perhaps in small doses it’s not so bad…but I still shudder when I think of keeping my shopping list on a chalkboard. I’d probably just assume skip buying the item just to avoid writing another thing on that board.

I was so close to falling for the charm of a chalkboard wall. Those Pinterest pics are tricky. Luckily my sister tried it out first. One look at the pink chalk dust all over the floor and I knew I’d dodged a bullet!

I had an easel for the kids once that had a chalkboard side to it. I set them up and after 20 minutes the chalk was reduced to dust that covered the bottom of the easel and all over my floor. Gross. Lesson learned.

I am a teacher and I loathe chalk. Thank goodness for smartboards! My house would definitely end up looking like the last picture…or I would write something on it and it would stay the same for years on end. Down with the chalk!!!

Well I don’t have little kids so I wasn’t even tempted to go with this trend, I could see maybe a small area in the play room, but everything is being covered in chalkboard paint. I don’t even care for the chalk paint trend.

I don’t even get it. I hate chalk. I vowed to never work in a school that didn’t have white boards. It makes your hands feel gross and it gets on everything. Gag.

I hold chalk the same way I might hold a pair of dirty underwear…with the tips of two fingers and a scrunched, disgusted face. Me no likey.

I’m behind you. Just say NO to chalkboard paint! I always hated being asked to write on the chalkboard in school. Why in the h.e. double hockey sticks would I want to bring one of those messy eye sores into my house? No thank you, sister!

Yeah, I am gonna have to totally totally agree with you here. Chalk sucks!

Now a white board wall… I could get behind that especially since that would be there would be markers to smell.

Who with the what now?

Hahaha! So true – the chalkboard ends up looking like a giant mess.

I have to admit that I am no opposed to a small wall chalkboard section in the playroom for my kids. Chalkboard on the stairs is too over the top for me.

Funny story, I wanted to paint my bathroom in chalkboard paint back in 2003, BEFORE it was a “hit”. Daddy Dave talked me out of it because he could totally foresee the mess…LMAO!

I am with you…just say NO! (at least not in my house)

I don’t mind it. What I dislike is the inability (until Amalah schooled us all) to get the board clean (use Pledge/Endust!). My girls have a raspberry colored wall in their bedroom and although they don’t necessarily play with it the way they did when it first went up, they still enjoy it. Yes, it’s chalky and I’m glad it’s not my room, but it’s cute and they don’t complain so…and for my daughter who is always playing school in the living room, take your bad ass imaginary kids up to your room; that’s what it’s there for (also, that one little imaginary girl who keeps talking back probably needs detention.)

I don’t like the mugs or the ornaments or the Christmas cards, but the schedule and cabinets (even the stairs (really)) are cute to me.

I’m just trying to imagine myself laying down on my stairs in a very awkward attempt to write something inspiring in my nicest handwriting. One of the kids smudge it while running up to the bathroom and then I’d be all “WHO KICKED THIS STAIR!?! IT TOOK ME AN HOUR TO WRITE “TRUST IN JESUS DAMMIT!!”

THIS is a hilarious post! I had not idea there were SO many projects with chalkboard paint. I don’t like all those dusty looking things either (except I have to admit, I do kind of like the wine glasses, and I’d love to have my Christmas cards look like that!

The wine glasses were created by Deb from Just Short of Crazy…great blog and I agree it IS a fun way to label glasses at a party. And it’s not like you really touch the bottom of a wine glass, so it does work. :)

My white board markers are always dried out. Which leads me to conclude the chalk would roll under the fridge. I think I’ll stick with the note pad. I think we can bring that back, too.

You’ve sold me.

I see where you are going with this and while I agree that chalk in and of itself is grating, it’s also very useful. I must admit that I have chalkboard contact paper in my kitchen. For me the use of the word “Uber” makes me crazy. Seriously, did no one else have a crazy German teacher that word reminds them of?

I’m glad I didn’t title this post “I UBER Hate ChalkBoard Paint”, because then you might really hate me forever. For the record, I pretty much refuse to use the word Uber…German teacher aside.

Party pooper! I was planning on chalkboarding my next refrigerator! And I’m nostalgic, shoot me! The kids only have SmartBoards and Tablets these days! And what kid doesn’t love using colored chalk on a chalkboard and having enough erasers that EVERYONE gets to erase the board? I wonder if there’s weatherproof chalkboard paint and I could have chalkboard siding on my house! Just a thought!

PS I’ll start up my posts again after the first of the year and the boys are settled in after our move next week! =)

Chalkboard refrigerators can be done!: http://pinterest.com/pin/206039751671752284/

I challenge you to do it and come back and let me know if you still love it…because I’m willing to bet having all those kids in your kitchen to draw on your refrigerator, accidentally erase your grocery list, and create piles of dust to be swept off the floor will drive you crazy after 2 weeks.

But go for it!!! ;)

Oh god yes. Completely agree, and do not understand the appeal of breeding chalk dust indoors AT ALL. Why would anyone want to increase their cleaning/vacuuming workload? It’s nuts, and probably one of the reasons I fell out of love with Pinterest a while back.

I LOVE having a chalkboard in the kitchen to post my weekly menu. I do not want my babe running in the house with a marker on my walls (chalk I can clean, marker… not so much). I think that having a lot of spaces they can write on is a bit much and messy, and my stairs? I want my home to be a home, not a playhouse!
    This post is awesome… and gave me some cool ideas to do and NOT do!

Trackbacks