Writer’s Workshop: Not Dingleberries

I wanted a word for 2013. I’ve been thinking about this for weeks now. Okay just one week, but still. What could my word be? I didn’t want to pick a word fraught with unoriginality. I wanted a word that is fun to say, like Chimichanga, but that is also meaningful. I don’t know what chimichanga can do for me as far as life changing resolutions come in.

And I don’t really trust my own vernacular. I just recently used the word “dingleberries” to describe my daughters on an Instagram photo I had published to Twitter:

My sister replied with:

And then I discovered:

Fecal matter? I mean, is this common knowledge? I definitely prefer the second of the two definitions provided, but either way my word for 2013 is not dingleberries. A shame really.

I wanted to choose omnipotent, but that word belongs to Jesus.

And then I got frustrated. How do people do this? How do you come up with ONE word to define an entire a year. A year that hasn’t even happened yet? This is a huge task. The word has to encompass what you want to happen, who you want to be, where you want to go. It needs to support any resolutions or goals you might have.

And after days and days, and hours, and the last 20 minutes of really searching for MY word it occurred to me that I’m complicating something that maybe doesn’t need to be that difficult. And it was with that realization my mother’s wise words rung through my head about simplifying for sanity’s sake. She’s begged me to quiet down the daycare and to be careful with my big plans to adopt more animals, birth more babies, make more money, move to fancier houses, and eat more cake. She’s joked about how she spent the first half of her life complicating everything and the second half trying to undo it all and get back to simple. Couldn’t I just learn from her and head back to simple now? I suppose I could.

So that’s my word.

Simplify.

I’ll start with the closets and bedrooms, dig in to my tendency to spoil my kids rotten with all the things, get rid of all the things, and then maybe reassess all the jobs I’ve decided I can complete in a 24 hour work day…perhaps keep the ones that actually pay. Which means I guess my husband and kids are on their own for dinner tonight.

Simplify.

I’m on it!

My mother will be pleased.

But I’m still eating all the cake.

What’s your word?

1.) Instead of a resolution, some people choose a theme word to live by for the year. Choose a word for 2013 and tell us why you chose it. ( I like how Natalia from Ma Nouvelle Mode had hers come full circle this year.)
2.) Share any blogging tips you picked up in 2012.
3.) Do you “favorite” tweets you love? Share your favorite tweets from 2012. (inspired by Big A Little a)
4.) Resolutions. Love’em? Hate’em? Tell us why. Make one?  Talk about your resolutions or goals for 2013.
5.) Share your top 10 favorite quotes from your kids in 2012. (inspired by The Momalog)

Comments

This is HILARIOUS! I am still laughing. Simplify is a great word. I think I might be missing the gene that allows you to do that. I manage to complicate the most simple of things. Great prompt!

Too funny! Yes, dingleberry is a pretty common vocabulary term…though not one usually used to describe children. Ha!

I recently shared a story in which my 8 year old told my brother that he knew what dingleberry meant. I had no idea how he learned that word, as it’s not something we go around saying in our house. Turns out, my niece taught him the word. ;-)

I grew up with two brothers who were quite fond of inserting Dingleberry into conversation, so, yes…I *did* know about that one.

Also – I hope that your simplifying goes well. I applied that theme last year to my blog, and so far, it’s served me well. Happy New Year, Kat!

Hilarious.I will never hear the word Dingleberry again without thinking of this post. I’ve always thought it a shame that such a catchy word has such an utterly disgusting meaning though. Who knew about definition number two?

And you can’t go wrong with Simplify!

Um yeah I could have told you what that word meant. Also don’t call anyone dude. Because that my dear friend is an infected hair on an elephants butt.. Just a heads up for future reference. Although I do know a few people that fit that description, not naming any names or anything.

So, admittedly I knew what dingleberry meant, though I’m not sure why. eww

I love “simplify” and definitely a goal for hubby and I this year. My word is Inspiration- I want to find inspiration wherever I can and use it to inspire others.

I LoVe your word! I think it is one of the most important lessons we can teach our children too – help them appreciate the little things and find contentment in each day. You are a great mom. Have an amazing 2013!

Great word! Simplify, not dingleberries, of course. I love the One Little Word practice, though sometimes I lose sight of it through the year. Happy 2013 :)

Haha! Dingleberries doesn’t sound like it should involve poop. The guys in college would call each other that and crack themselves up. It was funny at first. :) Love your word “simplify.” We do take on too much work, stress, stuff, etc. Sounds like you have a great mantra for the year.

So Simplify was my word last year, and it was SUCH a great word to have! I really cut the people and crap out of my life that caused drama and stressed me out, and I decluttered so many things! (I’m still decluttering, I think our words get to continue on with us too!

How had you never heard that definition before?! Granted, I like the second one a lot better too. And to be fair, “dingleberry” sounds like such a cute word – it’s hard to believe it means something gross :)

Simplify is a great word and a great goal for the new year. Isn’t it funny how it’s actually easier in many ways to let things be chaotic??

Let’s see how this whole “word for the year” works out (I have one too, direction). Hopefully the word won’t end up being “cluster***k” for any of us :-).

Wow! Dingleberries. Who knew? Fecal matter.

Simply is a great word! I need some of that around here at my place too!
    Good luck!

14. kelley says

I’ve been impressed with the “words” people have chosen to live by this year. You should do a follow-up workshop at the end of the year so we can read about their experience. This was a great topic. I like the idea of living by a “word” all year instead of resolutions that are most often doomed to fail.

Yes, this is common knowledge. But I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t used it in the way you did, with the full benefit of that knowledge.

I happen to love the word dingleberries. Not so much ACTUAL dingleberries (especially when they belong to a pet that wants to sleep on my favorite blanket), but the word is definitely a good one.

Lol I did know that one and was quite curious seeing Not Dingleberry in the subject line in my email from you. And simplify is a great word. I need to simplify and minimize …but it’s hard.

My poor dog sometimes gets dingleberries. Not a good word for 2013! I like your word – simplify – so much better! Here’s to simplifying our lives!

I’m totally cracking up because I have known this definition since junior high but I of course grew up in a small farming community. Which makes me kind of a farming term nerd. But I love that you just discovered this it makes me smile. Also I wanted to use simplify as my word but I’m so lazy that I might take it to mean sit on the couch more teehee!

I had no idea that’s what dingleberries meant. haha! I was totally overthinking my one word too, trying to be cute and catchy and witty. But then one word just kept coming back to me and that’s the one I decided on. Here’s to a happy and much simplified 2013!!

You know, that’s one of those words that had a normal meaning until “some jack ass” (as my seven year old would say — don’t ask) gives it a bad meaning. I generally go with banana heads in that situation myself. :)

Wow! I use “Dingle berries” more often than I should apparently. With all of our lives being more hectic that ever, I think “simplify” is a good word.

This is my first time writing on your writers workshop so please forgive me choosing from your front page. Do you give us a week to think about what the prompt is going to be for the week? I did submit my email.

I can’t find the linky either, but I’m happy to link up. I’ll ponder, then write. It’s wonderful to find you, Kat! Laughed hard at your video on the About page. Dingleberry is a regular word in my vocabulary. Sometimes I remember what it really means, sometimes I just like the rhythm and it feels so friendly that I use it as you first did. I think words shouldn’t feel so friendly unless their meaning matches…so I just use them how I want. :) This is probably why I’m constantly misunderstood.

Dingleberries sounds so lighthearted and whimsical right up til the moment you break out the dictionary! Sheez! That is just so wrong!

Is it bad that I totally know what “dingleberries” are? My father used to call my sister and I that when we did something really dumb. I was dumb a lot, apparently.

I’m still struggling to find my word. I might have to settle for “fuck.”

Trackbacks