Writer’s Workshop: So I Gave Up

February 20, 2013 · 29 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: So I Gave Up

1.) My oldest was once diagnosed with a “gluten sensitivity”. In my attempt to go gluten free I was frustrated with the lack of easy recipes and gluten free food. I decided to start a cookbook for gluten free beginners! I would teach the WORLD! But first I had to teach myself…and then I learned the word “book proposal” and found that you actually have to have something in writing in order to “propose” it to anyone and with that I quickly lost interest.

2.) I once learned to crochet and decided I could easily make blankets for everyone I knew for the rest of my life. But the ends of the blankets looked more like triangles than perfect rectangles so I gave up.

3.) I became a scrapbooker back in 2004 to document my first pregnancy and completed an entire first scrapbook to show how I met my husband. When it came time to start the “pregnancy” scrapbook I decided to have a baby instead and then scrapbooking was over. I still have all of the tools though…because you just never know when the scrapbooking bug might hit again.

4.) In an effort to slim down and get healthy I decided to take on Jillian’s 30 Day Shred. I got to day 7.

5.) I decided to become a PTA mom when a neighbor approached me about an upcoming meeting at the school. I told her I would go, but then forgot…and really who has time for meetings at 6pm (or ever) anyway?

6.) Last Summer I decided I was going to become a gardener. I wanted a hat, some matching gloves and I wanted to walk around with a watering can as giant tomatoes bloomed. But it was not to be. I planted tomatoes in a pot and was so proud of how they were growing! Tons of cherry tomatoes blossomed and the plant grew and grew and I watered it…and then the whole damn thing snapped in half.

It’s kind of good none of those things ever panned out for me though…because than I wouldn’t have any time to pursue my dream of becoming the greatest equestrian horse jumper that ever lived.

Wish me luck!!

equestrian horse jumper

1.) 5 things to do in your town during Spring Break.
2.) Tell the story of trying to learn a new talent or hobby that you only pursued briefly.
3.) Share an old picture of a parent or grandparent…who were they back then?
4.) Write a post inspired by the word: burned.
5.) Let’s get healthy…share a guilt free meal you enjoy.

Kim February 20, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I’ll look for you and your horse in the next Olympics.

I have given up on new hobbies…I just don’t have the staying power. It’s a good thing that my kids weren’t exclusively free-time activities, or I’d have put them in a corner and forgotten them, too.

Mama Kat February 21, 2013 at 4:10 pm

If kids were hobbies…there’s a blog post there somewhere.

Kat February 21, 2013 at 1:29 am

I would have been so upset about the tomatoes! I grew strawberries only to watch the plants grow HUGE and bloom only two flowers…..Have no idea what I did wrong!

Can’t wait to see you on that horse! It is never too late, remember!

Mama Kat February 21, 2013 at 4:10 pm

The tomato incident was seriously depressing. I will try again this year and I will succeed dammit!

Paula Kiger February 21, 2013 at 2:49 am

Great list! I suspect all of us have more scrapbooking supplies squirreled away than we can say. Those little scissors, the stickers, the great paper — it’s like a siren call for the crafty. Yeesh.

Mama Kat February 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm

It does come in handy for my crafty little girls sometimes. Although I cringe to see them waste it…even though I have no plans for it. :)

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" February 21, 2013 at 3:30 am

I enjoyed reading about your various endeavors. I went ice skating once, attempted knitting and gave up after about 20 minutes (I knew it wasn’t for me so why waste my time?). I signed up for a year on Lumosity to improve my brain health, but after 8 months, I got bored with the games and would skip days, then noticed it was hard to even break into my top 5 best scores on the games so quit. Haven’t played in quite awhile.

Mama Kat February 21, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Ice skating is something that always sounds good in your brain, but never quite works out the way you envision.

Tiffany February 21, 2013 at 3:51 am

I have so many of these too. Gluten free is so easy now…it’s everywhere! When we tried it with my daughter, it was awful because I had to make everything from scratch! Your posts always make me laugh and smile. :)

Mama Kat February 21, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Gluten free IS so much easier nowadays! I used to spend an entire day every week prepping different flours I needed for breads, pizzas, etc. I’ve been working to transition my family to a very “gluten light” diet. Personally I’ve been trying to avoid it whenever I can without being super hard on myself about it. It’s just not really good for anyone…sensitive or not!

Southern Angel February 21, 2013 at 3:55 am

Hey all I could ever crochet was a straight line. I can however make reed baskets with ease even though it has been over 20 years since I learned the craft.

Mama Kat February 21, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Reed baskets!! Now that is a rare talent right there!

Sue February 21, 2013 at 4:15 am

I giggled through this whole thing because I seriously could have written it. Except for the gluten-free part.

Knock wood. What pain!

Also? Scrapbooking is of the devil. And that’s all I have to say about that.

ps – I’m going to be in-boxing you on another topic…start quivering in anticipation. ;)

Mama Kat February 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Hit me with it!

Patricia February 21, 2013 at 5:29 am

It sounds like your whole life has really been preparing you for the equastrian dream. I wouldn’t look on your list as failures at all…just training opportunities!

Mama Kat February 21, 2013 at 5:32 pm

That was beautiful…and so spot on.

Kate February 21, 2013 at 5:48 am

At least your tomato plant grew something. I bought, BOUGHT a plant with a tomato on it from the farmer’s market…yeah, no tomatoes grew & the one that the farmer had grown for me died too. I called my grandmother to ask her what I had done wrong (she was an organic farmer her entire life) & she just laughed at me.

Your post is hilarious, as usual!

Mama Kat February 21, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I called my Mom too…and then learned you’re supposed to use some kind of stilt for a plant that is getting to heavy. Now I know.

Darcy February 21, 2013 at 8:16 am

Oh crocheting… I’ve tried so many times to learn. I can make a chain but can’t make a new row to save my life. I once made one long chain from an entire skein of yarn. The cats liked it.

Mo @ The Baby Is Fine February 21, 2013 at 8:47 am

I’m the worst scrapbooker. It always sounds so fun and I have visions of gorgeous completed scrapbooks…and then I end up with photos and stickers slapped haphazardly to the pages and call it a day.

Miriam Gomberg February 21, 2013 at 10:06 am

I attempted to keep Kosher for about a week. I went snowshoeing once feeling like I wanted to go back but who has the time? I attempted to write a blogpost every day for a year and made it a whole month before going back to 2-3x per week.

I really like the thought of becoming a world famous equestrian jumper. Maybe I can learn to jump from you once you have made it big. Cheers x

Jen February 21, 2013 at 10:52 am

I tried knitting and ended up tying my fingers together. That was the end of that.

Andie February 21, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Wait a minute! You’re riding? That is so awesome! My saddle is in my closet collecting dust since… well children arrived in my home/life/budget. But one day when they’re all in college on full-ride scholarships.. You. Me. And a jump off! ;)

Mama Kat February 22, 2013 at 9:09 am

If by “riding” you mean do I watch my girls take lessons and think to myself “Gosh that looks like fun, I should sign myself up!” than YES!! ;)

Roo [NiceGirlNotes] February 22, 2013 at 7:48 am

Yo, girl. Before I was a blogger, I was a mad knitter.

Like, an angry one.

Mama Kat February 22, 2013 at 8:07 am

I think a vlog displaying your best pieces might be in order.

May February 22, 2013 at 10:57 am

This is it! You’ve finally found your calling. I can not tell you how natural you look atop that horse! Poetry in motion!

the princess blogger February 22, 2013 at 7:35 pm

#4 is not a hobby…it’s torture.