This One Time…Carrots Nearly Killed Me

March 8, 2013 · 8 comments

Post image for This One Time…Carrots Nearly Killed Me

This one time I was eating lunch at my Grandma’s house with my sister and my Grandma was all, “if you want ice cream you need to eat your vegetables!”

And I was all, “but I don’t like cooked carrots…”

And then she served my sister the most giant bowl of ice cream you ever did see and I was all, “I want some of that…” and she was all, “You’re going to have to eat your cooked carrots first…”

I studied the ice cream and the carrots and the ice cream again and decided the ice cream would be worth all the dry heaving I was about to do when I put those disgusting cooked carrots in my mouth.

Only I didn’t dry heave, I just went ahead and threw up everywhere and looked at my Grandma like, “Seeeee!”

Because carrots are supposed to be cold and crisp and fed to horses and not warm and soggy in little girls soup bowls.

I did earn that most giant bowl of ice cream you ever did see though. I guess it was worth it.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" March 9, 2013 at 4:16 am

Aw, that’s sad. I don’t know why people insist on making kids eat things they don’t like. Adults wouldn’t want to be forced to eat things they don’t like. I don’t like brussel sprouts, sauerkraut, cauliflower, green tea (nasty tasting) or hot spicy stuff and guess what, no one makes me eat it. I’d be happy to eat your cooked carrots though.

Emily March 9, 2013 at 6:42 am

is that a euphemism?

Chris Carter March 9, 2013 at 8:43 am

That is HILARIOUS!! How many times have I done that to my kids!! And I distinctly recall my daughter gagging and starting to throw up some veggie I was making her stuff down her throat. I felt pretty bad for the kid…so after she tried a few times, I let it go. Glad you got your ice cream!!! :)

Chasing Joy March 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm

LOL This is funny.

AnnMarie March 9, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Ha! You showed her! I hate cooked carrots. I agree that carrots should be crisp and will add dipped in ranch dressing. I hate any soggy food. It’s probably the reason I don’t force my kids to eat vegetables and why they have terrible vegetable eating habits.

Nicoyle March 10, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I agree, carrots should stay raw and crunchy. I hate cooked vegetables, some don’t look right when they are cooked. LOL. I don’t make my kids eat veggies either if they don’t want to try it. Been on that boat when I was younger and totally not fun.

Miriam Gomberg March 10, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Silly grandparents. Don’t they know what kids will do to get out of eating something they don’t like?

Jennifer March 12, 2013 at 11:56 am

My mom never made me eat stuff I didn’t like, and come to think of it, neither did my grandmother, but my aunt… She tried to get me to eat fried okra once. I would STILL be sitting at that table if my mom hadn’t rescued me.