Writer’s Workshop: Pinterest Win Or Fail?

1.) Pinterest inspired! Share something you recently tried from your Pinterest boards.

I have a whole board on Pinterest dedicated to pins I’ve tried. I love seeing if things work the way they’re supposed to (dryer sheets in your pocket to ward off mosquito does NOT), if they taste the way they’re supposed to (cauliflower pizza crust surprisingly not disgusting), and if they’re as easy as they look (DVD turned coloring case way too much work).

I also particularly love when I’m able to think ahead of time and actually film myself attempting a pin because I feel a calling to share with the world whether or not a viral pin is indeed a Pinterest win or fail!

So I’m particularly excited to announce that I’ve partnered with The Stir by CafeMom and will be submitting a weekly video column called Crafty Mom’s Weekly Challenge where I take on a Pinterest challenges and attempt a variety of pins we all see floating around. My first episode airs today and I’m going to share it with you here.

The challenge? Fourth of July TIE DYE.

Check it out:

That should help clarify whether or not you need to put tie dye on your list of things to do!

2.) Describe what Summer is like at your house.
3.) Pick up your Ipod or phone or whatever stores your music and press shuffle…what comes up first? Tell us about that song choice.
4.) Take us somewhere local spot in your city and show us what we’re missing…you’ll be saving us thousands of dollars now that we won’t need to take that trip!
5.) When you were your youngest child’s age, what were you like? Would you have been friends with your child? Why or why not?

Comments

I find most of the time they’re a lot more time consuming than I anticipated. Even this tie dye, we had to wait a minimum of six hours for the dye to set. Not a huge deal, but kids aren’t super patient. (Neither am I)

Awesome video! You almost made me want to try it, but with a 3 and 5 year-old, I’m pretty sure I would be the one coming out tie-dyed, not the t-shirts. In a few years, maybe!

With a 3 and 5 year old you’d end up doing most of the work, but they would have fun pouring the dye into the shirts. Maybe a good outdoor craft with gloves and aprons and a plastic pool to the dip the children in. ;)

Cute!! All of you obviously had such fun working on this project, and the shirts turned out great! (Of course, “some” of us remember tie-dying WAY BACK WHEN…!)

I was really impressed with my twirl! I really didn’t think that would work, but the tie dye kit came with directions on how to roll shirts to get certain looks. I tried the whirl on a whim. :)

Ooh I’ll have to check that one out. That’s the problem with a lot of these pins. Sometimes not worth the time involved. I get to tackle nail art this month and I’m certain it will kill me to sit there and wait for each coat to dry…all for pretty nails.

I love this idea. And have often thought I should do the same. But since I rarely get back to actually trying things let alone buying the supplies. I’ll watch, you go for it! :)

4. BalancingMama (Julie) says

Wow! I really expected a funny ending to this one… sorry. I should have more faith in your crafty abilities!

When I was making it I was actually thinking, “well this isn’t turning out funny at all! I actually like it!” The downside of failing is the waste of money and time that goes into it, so maybe winning every once in awhile isn’t such a bad thing!

So cute! I am so not crafty, so I think I’ll have to get my crafty on vicariously through you. I especially like the swirly pattern on your shirt Kat – how did you do that?

Looking forward to watching this new feature.

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! Check YOU guys out! My attempts at tie-dye back in college never looked like that. You have also inspired me to give that cauliflower recipe a whirl.

I love that you’re turning this into a weekly gig…I’ve been kicking around the idea of doing a Pinterest-inspired link-up at my place. Great minds, I tell you.

Love the video! Tye Dye is so fun. When I was an Extension Educator at USU, we sponsored Art In the Park. One of our booths… making tye dye shirts… red, white and blue. It was a big hit!

Have fun in those terrific 4th of July tye dye shirts. You’ll all look so patriotic!

Cute! I tried to tie dye once a looong time ago. All I remember is that my shirt came out as one big blob of color and no actual pattern. So, yeah, go me. Your shirts look awesome though!

Oh I LOVE it!!!!

Very awesome. I can’t wait to see all the pins that you try.

And very sweet dye job.

The interaction between you and your kids is priceless. Love it!! You’re off to a great start! Can’t wait for the next installment…

I tye-dyed shirts for a 1960′s program in a museum I worked at, and we had 100 shirts gone in about 5 minutes. Everybody loves tye-dye, I guess. Love the striped one!

Well, that is just about the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! The last time I tie-dyed was in the 6th grade and it was effing awesome. Your video brought back great memories and your shirts turned out GREAT!!!

I am actually refusing to watch your video because I AM going to tie dye something. I’ve never done it and I just wrote a post recommending it on Answers and I feel like a poser if I don’t do it myself now. Wish me luck!

Trackbacks