Writer’s Workshop: Pinterest Win Or Fail?

June 19, 2013 · 30 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: Pinterest Win Or Fail?

1.) Pinterest inspired! Share something you recently tried from your Pinterest boards.

I have a whole board on Pinterest dedicated to pins I’ve tried. I love seeing if things work the way they’re supposed to (dryer sheets in your pocket to ward off mosquito does NOT), if they taste the way they’re supposed to (cauliflower pizza crust surprisingly not disgusting), and if they’re as easy as they look (DVD turned coloring case way too much work).

I also particularly love when I’m able to think ahead of time and actually film myself attempting a pin because I feel a calling to share with the world whether or not a viral pin is indeed a Pinterest win or fail!

So I’m particularly excited to announce that I’ve partnered with The Stir by CafeMom and will be submitting a weekly video column called Crafty Mom’s Weekly Challenge where I take on a Pinterest challenges and attempt a variety of pins we all see floating around. My first episode airs today and I’m going to share it with you here.

The challenge? Fourth of July TIE DYE.

Check it out:

That should help clarify whether or not you need to put tie dye on your list of things to do!

2.) Describe what Summer is like at your house.
3.) Pick up your Ipod or phone or whatever stores your music and press shuffle…what comes up first? Tell us about that song choice.
4.) Take us somewhere local spot in your city and show us what we’re missing…you’ll be saving us thousands of dollars now that we won’t need to take that trip!
5.) When you were your youngest child’s age, what were you like? Would you have been friends with your child? Why or why not?

Dominique Goh June 20, 2013 at 12:05 am

I haven’t tried anything from pinterest as yet as I think I would certainly fail if it is to do with arts and crafts.

Kat June 20, 2013 at 6:01 am

I find most of the time they’re a lot more time consuming than I anticipated. Even this tie dye, we had to wait a minimum of six hours for the dye to set. Not a huge deal, but kids aren’t super patient. (Neither am I)

BonnyBard June 20, 2013 at 12:23 am

Awesome video! You almost made me want to try it, but with a 3 and 5 year-old, I’m pretty sure I would be the one coming out tie-dyed, not the t-shirts. In a few years, maybe!

Kat June 20, 2013 at 6:02 am

With a 3 and 5 year old you’d end up doing most of the work, but they would have fun pouring the dye into the shirts. Maybe a good outdoor craft with gloves and aprons and a plastic pool to the dip the children in. ;)

Dianna June 20, 2013 at 2:34 am

Cute!! All of you obviously had such fun working on this project, and the shirts turned out great! (Of course, “some” of us remember tie-dying WAY BACK WHEN…!)

Kat June 20, 2013 at 6:03 am

Certainly you’re not THAT old!! ;)

Mama Melch June 20, 2013 at 3:37 am

Adorable tie dye! I’ve never been able to master the twirl, so go you.

Kat June 20, 2013 at 6:04 am

I was really impressed with my twirl! I really didn’t think that would work, but the tie dye kit came with directions on how to roll shirts to get certain looks. I tried the whirl on a whim. :)

Tiffany June 20, 2013 at 4:51 am

Awesome job!! I made the homemade zebra cakes his week,…delicious but not worth the hours it took!!

Kat June 20, 2013 at 6:05 am

Ooh I’ll have to check that one out. That’s the problem with a lot of these pins. Sometimes not worth the time involved. I get to tackle nail art this month and I’m certain it will kill me to sit there and wait for each coat to dry…all for pretty nails.

Laurie @ Pride in Photos June 20, 2013 at 5:16 am

Aaaahh, you are taking me back to my teen age years. This is what my friends and I did, when we were in Junior High♥

Kat June 20, 2013 at 6:06 am

I can definitely see how people get into this…it’s a little addicting!

Andrea June 20, 2013 at 5:37 am

I love this idea. And have often thought I should do the same. But since I rarely get back to actually trying things let alone buying the supplies. I’ll watch, you go for it! :)

Mama Kat June 20, 2013 at 6:10 am

Buying the supplies is half the battle. I didn’t even know they HAD tie dye kits, let alone where to find one.

BalancingMama (Julie) June 20, 2013 at 6:41 am

Wow! I really expected a funny ending to this one… sorry. I should have more faith in your crafty abilities!

Mama Kat June 20, 2013 at 8:30 am

When I was making it I was actually thinking, “well this isn’t turning out funny at all! I actually like it!” The downside of failing is the waste of money and time that goes into it, so maybe winning every once in awhile isn’t such a bad thing!

lisa, too! June 20, 2013 at 8:20 am

this is so cute! love that it was a WIN! congrats!

Charlene Ross June 20, 2013 at 8:25 am

So cute! I am so not crafty, so I think I’ll have to get my crafty on vicariously through you. I especially like the swirly pattern on your shirt Kat – how did you do that?

Looking forward to watching this new feature.

Darcy June 20, 2013 at 8:54 am

I’ve tried a few pins but yeah.. mine usually aren’t as good looking. Congrats on your new column!

Sue - The Spin Cycle June 20, 2013 at 9:18 am

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! Check YOU guys out! My attempts at tie-dye back in college never looked like that. You have also inspired me to give that cauliflower recipe a whirl.

I love that you’re turning this into a weekly gig…I’ve been kicking around the idea of doing a Pinterest-inspired link-up at my place. Great minds, I tell you.

carol June 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

Love the video! Tye Dye is so fun. When I was an Extension Educator at USU, we sponsored Art In the Park. One of our booths… making tye dye shirts… red, white and blue. It was a big hit!

Have fun in those terrific 4th of July tye dye shirts. You’ll all look so patriotic!

Kristen June 20, 2013 at 10:54 am

Cute! I tried to tie dye once a looong time ago. All I remember is that my shirt came out as one big blob of color and no actual pattern. So, yeah, go me. Your shirts look awesome though!

Jen June 20, 2013 at 11:39 am

Oh I LOVE it!!!!

Very awesome. I can’t wait to see all the pins that you try.

And very sweet dye job.

Tracy P. June 20, 2013 at 11:40 am

The interaction between you and your kids is priceless. Love it!! You’re off to a great start! Can’t wait for the next installment…

Kristen R. June 20, 2013 at 11:59 am

I tye-dyed shirts for a 1960′s program in a museum I worked at, and we had 100 shirts gone in about 5 minutes. Everybody loves tye-dye, I guess. Love the striped one!

Hot Mess Princess June 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Well, that is just about the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! The last time I tie-dyed was in the 6th grade and it was effing awesome. Your video brought back great memories and your shirts turned out GREAT!!!

dude mom June 21, 2013 at 3:53 am

I am actually refusing to watch your video because I AM going to tie dye something. I’ve never done it and I just wrote a post recommending it on Answers and I feel like a poser if I don’t do it myself now. Wish me luck!

Teresa June 21, 2013 at 10:19 am

That is pretty wicked awesome. Maybe I’ll try some tie dye…

jen @ grown in southern ground June 23, 2013 at 8:42 am

i also have boards of “crafts i’ve tried” and “recipes i’ve tried”!