Public Displays Of Humiliation

June 16, 2013 · 13 comments

Post image for Public Displays Of Humiliation

And here I thought I had skated through the toddler years without much too worry about in regards to public displays of humiliation.

Sure, Laina went through a phase where she screamed and sometimes kicked me in the head while I man handled her into her dreaded car seat. And Maile would sometimes melt down if we had her out during what was supposed to be nap time. But for the most part I escaped any sort of public meltdown, screaming, name calling situation that might cause an entire store to stop what they’re doing and give my dirty looks.

Until recently.

Somehow if feels worse to have this public display of horror happening now…when my son is nearly SIX years old than if it had happened when he were three. Three year olds do this kind of thing. Six year olds know better.

At Kainoa’s preschool graduation I thanked his teacher for all the work she’s done, “He’s grown SO much! Thank you!” and then I was all “Kainoa can you tell your teacher thank you? You’re never going to see her again!” To which he responded by sticking his tongue out at me and running away.

“Well then…I mean he really HAS grown…just physically more so than mentally…”

But never have I wanted to crawl under a rock out of pure humiliation as I did just a few days ago at Target. Take a look:

embarrassing2

(video here)

I honestly don’t know what to do with the child at this point. I asked my husband how he gets our son to behave so well for HIM and his suggestion was that I stop hugging him so much. And since that doesn’t seem possible (he’s WAY too huggable), I wonder if I should just get used to leaving him home when I run errands. Lord knows we can never show our faces in Target again.

I have a feeling this won’t be the last time one of my kids embarrasses me in public…

Darcy June 17, 2013 at 6:39 am

Ugh I hate the judgey people when kids act up and you are completely mortified. :(

Kat June 17, 2013 at 8:07 am

I’m kind of lucky to have gone this long before actually noticing ever getting a nasty look, but I was stunned that their are actually people out there who don’t understand that kids can just plain act crazy regardless of how try to do to keep them in check. Also, how do they know there isn’t something wrong with my son? What if he had a diagnosis or medication that sometimes caused him to act out. People are way too quick to snap to judgement.

Darcy June 17, 2013 at 9:03 pm

People are all sorts of crazy. I had a Target cashier ask me what was wrong with my 1 month old baby because he was fussing. I said he was just crying.. because the cart stopped. Then she said he must be colicky… /facepalm Worst was a “talking to” an old lady gave me about my baby not wearing socks.

NatteringNic June 17, 2013 at 9:14 am

What I have noticed is that the most judgemental people I know are also the most insecure. So I remind myself of that whenever I’m on the receiving end of the “tsk, tsk glance”.

Shay June 17, 2013 at 11:45 am

We’ve all been through it before! Just buy the damned cup and then next time go alone. Haha! Thanks for sharing, because the next time I go through it, I’ll remember I’m not alone! :)

kisatrtle June 17, 2013 at 1:41 pm

My son had a breakdown in Target too! It was Christmas last year and he wanted me to by him a menorah. Flipped out. People were glaring at me. Look at the poor little Jewish boy whose mom won’t by him a menorah. Um…we are not Jewish. I didn’t think he needed at $22 really heavy easy to hit people with candle holder. Call me crazy

Tutu February 27, 2014 at 9:50 am

What a coincidence! Wink, wink. You have been podrived the information and assistance you needed JUST at the right time! Who needs skype when you have the actual person? I love it! C

Jenny June 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I think we have all been there. I used to just leave my cart in the middle of the store filled with crap because my son was on the verge of a melt down because he saw some junk toy he had to have and I did not want the judgy eyes staring at me.

Nicole @MTDLBlog June 17, 2013 at 3:13 pm

It’s Target. That mesmerizing target bullseye does something to children. Jordan, my sweet child, threw the most epic tantrum of her life there…over an umbrella. I blame the store.

Laurel@Let's Go on a Picnic! June 18, 2013 at 9:15 am

This still happens with my six year old. But it’s not the most embarassing thing that he does.
A few years ago, we went to an outdoor party at a park for one of my cousin’s children. The kids were playing on the playground and a stranger brought me my child pantless. Yes, he started to strip down on the playground.

Jennifer June 18, 2013 at 11:57 am

We all have to have at least one of those experiences.

Andrea June 20, 2013 at 6:41 am

This type of scenario always causes me to nod in acknowledgment, remembering those times (timeSSSSS) that my son or daughter delivered a performance like this in public. Except that I was often so mortified and intent on leaving the scene that I never noticed the dirty looks around me that I was surely receiving.

Two years ago my daughter (then 8) told her best friend’s family around their dinner table that I got sick on a girls-only vacation I had recently taken with my friends because I had drank too much beer. Not only was that untrue (I had come home with an ear infection and had a violent reaction from the antibiotic, ending up in the hospital for dehydration), but her friend’s parents are the leaders for their church’s Celebrate Recovery program, which helps people with addictions.