Writer’s Workshop: Strawberry Shortcake Truth

July 3, 2013 · 11 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: Strawberry Shortcake Truth

I celebrate my half birthday in June.

Long story short: I was born the day after Christmas, my Mom wanted to make life easier for all of us, we’ve always celebrated it in June and it doesn’t even matter now because I’m old and we don’t celebrate old peoples birthdays…let alone their half birthdays.

At least that’s what I tell myself now considering my half birthday this year was spent taking my kids to the roller rink and then to Dairy Queen by myself, because my husband had a previous engagement and completely forgot about my half birthday.

It doesn’t matter. I can’t expect him to remember my half birthday when I forget the anniversary of our marriage every year.

But this isn’t about that.

This is about strawberries and how every summer for my birthday my Mom would be all, “Kathy would you like me to make a special cake just for you for your birthday?” and I would be all, “Oh mmhmm!!” and she would be all “How about….Strawberry Shortcake!” and I would be all, “OH! MMHMM!!” because I was imagining something like this:

strawberry shortcake cake

But what I ended up with looked a whole lot more like this:

strawberry shortcake cake2

It’s not that I didn’t LIKE regular strawberry shortcake, it’s just that if I couldn’t have THE Strawberry Shortcake than I’d really just have opted for chocolate.

After a few birthdays went by I realized I my Mom was never actually going to make me a real Strawberry Shortcake and by that point she was so convinced her strawberry shortcake was my VERY favorite that I didn’t have the heart to ask for anything different.

I recently told my Mom the Strawberry Shortcake truth. She was shocked, “You mean after all these years?? Strawberry shortcake is NOT your favorite??” She struggled to wrap her mind around this epiphany. And then she laughed and she laughed and she laughed.

I’m so glad my anguish could cause her such joy. At least I was able to take my expertise on strawberry shortcake after years of eating it and build the best 4th of July trifle ever.

But I will never stop holding out hope that one of these years I will find a REAL Strawberry Shortcake cake waiting for me on the morn of my half birthday…if anyone decides to remember it.

Happy 4th of July!!

If you have time today, take a look at my most recent episode of Crafty Mom Challenge. I attempted patriotic nail art and I’ll let you decide whether or not you’d call it a Pinterest win or a Pinterest fail.

1.) Share a 4th of July inspired post.
2.) 10 things you learned in June. (inspired by Chatting At The Sky)
3.) Write a post inspired by the word: strawberries.
4.) Create a How-To post.
5.) Talk about something you were allowed to do as a child that you will not allow your child to do.

Dianna July 4, 2013 at 2:21 am

Isn’t it funny how we can let something go on without saying anything until it becomes impossible to change?? I hope that one day you’ll get your Strawberry Shortcake for your half birthday.
Thanks for hosting – Happy Fourth!

OneMommy July 4, 2013 at 4:12 am

Oh my goodness, yes!
I had to laugh because when I first told my kids I was making a special strawberry shortcake dessert, that is what they both pictured! You should have seen their faces!

And, honestly, that is a pretty cute Strawberry Shortcake cake; I hope you get one one year.

Tracie July 4, 2013 at 4:36 am

It was sweet of you to let her make that strawberry shortcake for you all of those years.

I hope someone gets you a real Strawberry Shortcake cake next year.

Jenny July 4, 2013 at 6:00 am

Hopefully next year you will get that strawberry shortcake cake you always dreamed of :)

Weekend Cowgirl July 4, 2013 at 6:21 am

That is a great story! Hope you get your “real” cake some year soon!!!!

Shannon@MishmashMama July 4, 2013 at 7:22 am

Oh my God, that is too funny! I had the best Strawberry Shortcake dollhouse when I was a kid. Man, she was awesome!

Tina July 4, 2013 at 7:51 am

My mother thought that I liked lebkuchen, a type of German cookie, for years. I was just giving them away, and keeping the decorative tins the cookies came in. Now I have no tins, and no cookies. :(

Jamie@SouthMainMuse July 5, 2013 at 5:56 am

I can so relate to this. Except mine was Christmas cookies. I always wanted the magic of rolling out the dough and cutting the cookies — stars, snowmen (for we had so many snowmen in our Florida lawn at Christmas) and Santas. Every year, I’d ask my mom if we could make Christmas cookies. Every year she said yes. And every year we made oatmeal cookies. I’ll never get that?????

Sam_I_Am July 5, 2013 at 7:53 am

I was actually telling on of my coworkers about your half birthday. Both of her grandkids were born in cold weather months (Nov and Feb), so I told her about your 1/2 birthday. Of course, it led to that awkward explaination of “This girl, whose blog I read…” I need a better word than blogger. I work with old(er) people.

Teresa July 5, 2013 at 8:13 am

That’s too funny. Years of eating something that you didn’t actually want. I think it’s sweet that you went ahead and ate it so you didn’t hurt your mom’s feelings, though. Good manners!

Andrea July 12, 2013 at 8:12 am

I love strawberry shortcake but it is not my go-to dessert when I’m thinking of something sweet to make. My daughter doesn’t eat fruit so when we have strawberry shortcake she uses Nutella instead of strawberries. I feel like a complete failure as a mom when she does that.