Writer’s Workshop: Top 5 Christmas Songs

December 18, 2013 · 24 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: Top 5 Christmas Songs

5.) Your top 5 favorite Christmas songs.

I love Christmas music! My top 5 Christmas songs might actually change slightly each year depending on which ones I over played the year before, but this year my top five include the following:

1.) Hallelujah makes me feel like emotional baby…

emotional baby

so of COURSE I’m loving this Christmas version of the song:

2.) I’ve heard a lot of people sing O Holy Night, but none of them give me goosebumps like this lady does. Whether you’re a fan of country musicians or not, Martina McBride trumps all with this song in my very non expert opinion:

3. Faith Hill’s version of Little Drummer Boy always brings me to my feet:

Particularly this part:

4. Jewel’s entire holiday cd has been one of my favorites since high school. My best friend and I used to play Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer on repeat. I would sing Jewel’s part and my friend would sing the part of Jewel’s mom over and over and over again. Just a couple of 17 year olds getting down to Rudolph. Don’t act like you didn’t do it too.

5. There’s one album that brings me back home though. While Charlie Brown and the Chipmunks were always fun to listen to, it was John Denver And The Muppets that became my family’s holiday favorite every year. Those funny muppets were always playing for us and Miss Piggy’s version of Christmas Is Coming is definitely a fave.!:

1.) Write a blog post inspired by the word: pajamas
2.) A memorable gift.
3.) The last thing you got mad at a pet for.
4.) A favorite holiday tradition.
5.) Your top 5 favorite Christmas songs.

Jessica December 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I love this list! I hadn’t heard that version of Hallelujah, but it’s awesome. Martina McBride is the best. I love your Little Drummer Boy highlights. :) I always loved Jewel’s version of Rudolph, but never realized she was singing with her mom! And the Muppets… well, it’s just not Christmas without them! I finally have gotten my son into that album this year. We love that song, the 12 Days and We Wish You a Merry Christmas (it’s made with figs… and bacon!). LOL Merry Christmas to you, and thanks for sharing these wonderful tunes. :)

Gretchen December 18, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Oh see, now I’m rethinking my list! I knew that would happen. Martina is awesome. And nobody beats the Muppets!

DonettaS December 19, 2013 at 12:09 am

Great picks. I absolutely agree with you about Martina McBride! There is so much power in her voice. I also love to hear Carrie Underwood’s version. My favorite Christmas album since the late 90′s is Mariah Carey’s album. I love dancing around to the songs while decorating the tree. Faith Hill singing ‘Where Are You Christmas’ from the soundtrack of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” always makes me misty eyed. I think it’s because my best friend and I were both raised by our grandparents and ironically enough our grandmothers passed away on the same day in 2000. This was the year the Grinch came to movie theaters, so hearing anything soft and touching was enough to make us cry. Even when it was Cindy Lou Who singing it. My all time favorite song will always be Brenda Lee’s version of “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree.” Have a fabulous holiday!!!

kelley December 19, 2013 at 1:35 am

If you make a Christmas album I’ll buy it!!! I’d swear you sing as well as Faith Hill.

Dianna December 19, 2013 at 2:59 am

Martina McBride has always been a favorite of mine. I heard a deejay one time refer to her as two lungs and a windpipe!
My all-time favorite Christmas song is I’ll Be Home With Bells On by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton.
Thanks for hosting. Have a good week and a wonderful Christmas!

Tiffany December 19, 2013 at 3:06 am

There are too many to pick a favorite!!! I love them all but I really love anything sung by Karen Carpenter.

MJ December 19, 2013 at 3:43 am

Your lip syncing is very believable and quite moving.

Kerry Ann @Vinobaby's Voice December 19, 2013 at 4:22 am

How is it I’ve only seen the first video? Well, and Ms Piggy. It can’t be Christmas without Muppets.

Tima December 19, 2013 at 4:51 am

I love, love, love Hallelujah. Great list.

Felicia December 19, 2013 at 5:20 am

The songs O Holy Night and Hallelujah Chorus (not the same Hallelujah on this list) always bring me back to high school. These were two of the songs we ALWAYS sang at Christmas time. There were other songs sung during the Christmas concert too, but these two were a tradition and we sang them every.single.year. They still do it to this day and when we sing Hallelujah Chorus all the alumni go up on stage. It’s a pretty impressive sight to see, really.

Either way, I love all the songs on your list and it makes me want to go play some Christmas songs!

May December 19, 2013 at 6:11 am

The Christmas picture you paint there with your festive soundtrack is Norman Rockwell all the way!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot December 19, 2013 at 7:12 am

Great list! I almost included Kermit the Frog’s Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas in my list. :O)

Funkidivagirl December 19, 2013 at 7:14 am

You named one of my favorite songs – O Holy Night – also by Martina McBride!

Jenn Rian December 19, 2013 at 7:17 am

What a great list! I’m mostly old school with my Christmas music: Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, etc. and I really love “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas”, because, why not? But I guess I miss out on a lot of the really great new renditions. I really loved that version of Hallelujah and Jewel’s Rudolph was so fun (and she sings it so effortlessly and sounds amazing!). Miss Piggy is one of my all time favorite people, errr, pigs. :)

Riyanti February 27, 2014 at 9:52 am

Here is a list of the majority of games rseaeeld for Kinect with a short description of what game type they are.Fighters UncagedExperience controller-free full-body combat right in your living room. Fighters Uncaged is the first motion fighting game for Kinect, dedicated to a core audience. Did anyone say Kinect is only for casual gamers?Adrenalin MisfitsAdrenalin Misfits is a cool downhill extreme sports game, only you don’t get to use a controller. As a downhill racer, you’ll have to get up off of your couch and go through the motions.Sonic Free RidersSonic is speeding onto Kinect™ with full-motion body control to twist, turn, and jump, as you speed your way to compete in exhilarating, adrenaline-fueled races against tough competition.Get Fit with Mel BGet Fit with Mel B is a huge leap forward in the home fitness and will help you get in shape or reach a new level of health. Imagine having a real personal fitness coach right there in your home!Child of EdenTetsuya Mizuguchi’s Child of Eden might be the coolest motion gaming experience yet. With its intense special effects, Child of Eden is one that shouldn’t be missed if you’re a hard-core gamer.Zumbaae FitnessBring the Zumba Fitness party home dance those pounds away right in your living room! This addictive fitness craze blends Latin and world rhythms with easy-to-follow dance moves to help you tone and sculpt the body while burning fat.Star Wars KinectOne Kinect game that’s going to draw the most attention from “core gamers” is the new untitled “Star Wars” game featuring controller-free lightsaber fighting and motion-activated Force powers.Kinect Bundle: Biggest Loser Ultimate WorkoutIf you’ve been considering to start a healthier lifestyle, now the solution has come to your own living room. With the Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout, it’s never been easier to get in shape with a top of the class workout program.Brunswick Pro BowlingSTRIKE! You’re in! Utilizing the Xbox 360 Kinect motion control sensor, Brunswick Pro Bowling is the only game to feature a realistic and authentic bowling experience for the whole family. Get ready for an entirely new way to bowl!Deca Sports FreedomOne of the most realistic ways to play sports as if you were doing it in real life. Swing that tennis racquet, jab with your right hand, and pull back on the bowstring! Yes, no controller needed.Kinect Joy Ride3 … 2 … 1 … Go! “Kinect Joy Ride,” the first controller-free racing game, takes the thrilling driving experience off the track and into your living room.EA Sports Active 2 for KinectWith Wireless Full Body Motion Tracking, you’re able to track full body movement that will register exercises never before possible and create seamless workout experiences, without ever having to use a controller.Dance CentralDance Central is the first immersive dance video game that features and tracks full-body dance moves. Whether you’ve had your dancing shoes on your entire life or this is your first time hitting the floor, Dance Central will have you dancing like a pro in no time.Kinect Adventures!Whether you want to play for five minutes or five hours, “Kinect Adventures” is a rich mine for fun with friends and family members. Take turns jumping in and out of games whenever you like, or jump onto Xbox LIVE to play online.Kinect SportsThe first full-body, controller-free sports game, “Kinect Sports” features soccer, beach volleyball, bowling, table tennis, track and field, and boxing and gives you the ultimate party experience.KinectimalsGet in touch with your wild side. “Kinectimals” invites children, their parents and animal lovers of all ages to build lasting friendships with some of the world’s most exotic creatures. The fun never ends with “Kinectimals”All other games which dont rely completely on Kinect will have Kinect elements/sidequests/options built in for future play .Hope this helps.

Natalie December 19, 2013 at 7:47 am

Little Drummer Boy is in my top 5 too! My favorite though is Carol of the Bells (especially the Celtic Woman version)

Michelle @Mind of Meesh December 19, 2013 at 8:08 am

Great list! I love Holiday music! My family grew up with The Carpenters singing Christmas tunes. Everytime I hear them sing it reminds me of my childhood.

Teresa December 19, 2013 at 11:48 am

That version of Hallelujah is amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Muppet Christmas song before. Weird because I grew up watching them. Hmmm.

Angelina Costenaro December 19, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I love that version of Hallelujah. Thanks for sharing!

lisa, too! December 21, 2013 at 9:02 am

This list is so cute. Me and my daughter just rocked out to Miss Piggy! Woohoo!