Writer’s Workshop: Random Act

This week I completed a random act of kindness inspired by Suzie from Live, Laugh, Read!  It feels weird doing something kind for randomly and then turning around to write all about it. I will say that with the help of my kids we were slid 20 bucks into a couple of nice cards and handed them to unsuspecting mothers walking with children along a very busy area in our city.

I should have included a Starbucks gift card…or a bottle of wine…because walking with my own kids in that area would have caused me to panic and run right into oncoming traffic. Like a squirrel. I handed the cards over, said “Hello, my friend would like me to hand these out to people, have a great day bye!” and I skedaddled!

I can tell you the women seemed thrilled to see me even though they didn’t know what was in the card. I could have been spamming them with postcards to a free Pyramid clinic for all they knew, and yet neither of them looked at all put off by my disrupting their day. In fact, as I drove away I watched one woman stoop down to read the card with her little girl and the little girl looked completely awestruck.

Mission accomplished team!

Have you ever been a recipient or giver of a random act of kindness?

1.) Complete a random act of kindness for Connor. (inspired by Live, Laugh, Read)
2.) If you had to choose a sport to compete in the Winter Olympics, which sport would you choose and why?
3.) Write a blog post inspired by the word: vacation
4.) Book review!
5.) Something that made you smile this week.

Comments

Aw, I love your RAOKs and the cards you included the $$ with!! You asked if we have ever been the recipient of one … I can’t think of a time I’ve been on the receiving end of the “classic” kind you hear about lately (the person ahead of line in Starbucks paying for me, for example) but there definitely have been smaller, quieter things (the older person who tried to distract my cranky toddler instead of giving me a lecture about how they should be more disciplined, for example) that were worth more than $$ at the time. :-) I really really loved this prompt; Connor will be in my mind on March 7 as will his parents.

This was a lovely act of kindness. I think anything you can do for people with small kids is appreciated tenfold. Every year on her birthday my best friend does one random act of kindness for every year she’s celebrating. She comes home at the end of the day, exhausted but with so many wonderful stories that she says it’ totally worth it. I love helping her think of creative things to do.

You’re probably like me: we were raised to be kind to everyone, so most of us have been living what amounts to “random acts of kindness” all our lives.
    This was a nice gesture; glad your children were involved.

I love, love, love this! And, what a wonderful experience you gave your children. Doing kind acts of service makes such a huge impact, not only in the recipients life, but the giver’s, as well. And, you did Conner’s family proud!

Last year, I was standing in line at the grocery counter, and when I got up to check out, I was told my groceries were paid for. The lady, two ahead of me, gave the cashier some money and had her pay for the next person, and the next, and so on… until the money was gone. I didn’t pay attention to who she was, just that I know it was an act of service that was truly appreciated by a number of people that day, including me!

Now on the giver end. One day I was in town getting something to eat at Taco Time after delivering a van full of peaches to the local market. The lady helping me at the window looked tired, worn out, and sad, “down in the dumps.” I just wanted to hug her and cheer her up! I don’t know why. I quickly gathered up a couple of my best and largest peaches and handed them to her and wished her a happy day! Wow! Her face lit up like a light bulb. She was so grateful for the unexpected treat and greeting. Seeing a smile come across her face made me feel good all over!

I have purchased the meal of the person in line behind me at the drive thru on several occasions. I have also left little gifts on random desks. I like the idea of the recipient not knowing who gave them the gift. Because it could be anybody, they look at everybody differently, if that makes sense.

What an awesome idea. I have to get my girls in on something like this. My younger one is probably too little to get it but it would make my older daughter SO happy to do something like that.

I’ve been on the giving end before a couple of times. I was at the grocery store and the person in back of me didn’t have enough money to pay for all the groceries so I gave the checker my debit card and paid the balance. When I got to my car, I started to cry. It’s a feeling I never get tired of. Thanks for sharing Kat.

What a lovely gesture! I bet you made their day. I now I’d have been stoked to be on the receiving end – dammit, if only I’d been in that area of town that day, wherever that is ;)

I love this so much! I can imagine the girl’s facial expression! Thank you again for sharing our request for kind acts! It really warms my heart to know that so much joy and goodness is being spread in Connor’s name.

I was so excited to come home from work and see the post, and any others on the workshop. I had seen the Facebook “teaser” on my phone earlier today at work. As soon as I sat down and clicked on your page, in my bookmarks, the power went out! We were without power for the past three hours.

I can’t wait to finally get to read through them. Thank you again!

This is so fantastic! I love it. I have also seen a few random acts of kindness done by people on Facebook lately, as a response to the recent “neknominations”. Instead of drinking and doing a dare, they perform these random acts of kindness and then nominate others to do the same. Putting a positive spin on it, and making the day of others. Reading your post gave me the warm fuzzies! :)

Trackbacks