Writer’s Workshop: 7 Kitchen Tips

March 19, 2014 · 26 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: 7 Kitchen Tips

2.) 7 kitchen tips based on mistakes you have made in the past.

I can’t tell you how many meals I’ve set in front of my husband, blinked at him in anticipation and said, “Go on, you try it first!”

I would copy new recipes from different websites, checked out cookbooks from the library, and subscribed to cooking magazines. I was going to learn to cook! Eleven years later and I’m like, “Gahhhh, you guys STILL need to eat? Haven’t I done enought!?!”

Of all the years I’ve spent slaving over the oven, these are the 7 kitchen tips you’d be wise to remember:

1.) A Tablespoon of salt is different than a teaspoon of salt. When in doubt, opt for the teaspoon.

2.) Raw meat in the refrigerator for longer than four days should not be cooked and consumed.

3.) Slow cooker meals are wonderfully easy options, specifically when you turn the cooking device on.

4.) Pizza rolls can cook for 40 minutes or longer without causing significant damage.

5.) Grilled cheese sandwiches cannot cook for 40 minutes or longer without causing significant damage.

6.) Mashed bananas from jars of baby food do not make a good substitute in banana bread.

7.) Orange peels, apple cores, gravel bits, and uncooked rice do not belong in your garbage disposal.

Consider yourself saved from certain kitchen catastrophes!

1.) A blog post inspired by the word: modest
2.) 7 kitchen tips based on mistakes you have made in the past.
3.) Your favorite childrens book.
4.) Something new you’re loving.
5.) Something that is a challenge for you.

health yahoo answers March 19, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it,
you may be a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will
often come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have a
nice weekend!

Beth @plasticrosaries March 20, 2014 at 2:49 am

Great tips! Banana baby food and adult consumption is never a good idea ;)

Kat March 20, 2014 at 12:14 pm

You would never guess!

Lisa @ Atypical Familia March 20, 2014 at 2:53 am

Excellent tips!! I can’t tell you how often I’ve put a pot of water to boil – only to return 20 minute later, cursing myself for not turning on the stove.

And don’t get me started on meat in the fridge. I am notorious for defrosting meat and then letting it sit.

Kat March 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

We should definitely never live together…pretty sure we’d starve and/or poison ourselves.

Tina March 20, 2014 at 4:17 am

Unfortunately, I am familiar with #3 and#5. If only I had read this blog post first! :-)

Kat March 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I always lose at cooking the perfect grilled cheese sandwich!

LADY GOO GOO GAGA March 20, 2014 at 4:41 am

I totally would think #6 would work….thanks for the tips!

Kat March 20, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I mean technically it worked, it was just really bland tasting…

Jen E @ mommablogsalot March 20, 2014 at 5:58 am

Oh the things we must learn the hard way! #5 gave me a good laugh especially. :) And, really, uncooked rice is a problem? I actually wouldn’t have guessed that – add to your list potato soup / mashed potatoes. Can be troublesome.

Kat March 20, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Oh dear, I honestly have a pot of potato soup IN my sink at this very moment just waiting to be dumped…what the heck else am I supposed to do with it??

carol March 20, 2014 at 5:59 am

Good tips! About the disposal. I learned the hard way and now I avoid it as much as possible! If you have ever replaced a disposal and saw all the crap that gets built up in it, it will make you think twice about using one. So nasty! I prefer throwing peels and scraps out on the garden or in the trash can.

Betsy March 20, 2014 at 6:50 am

You sound like me in the kitchen! lol

Kate @ Mommy Monologues March 20, 2014 at 7:11 am

Cooking & I are not good friends. Never have been, never will be.

Hilarious post! I’m not even going to embarrass myself & tell you how many times I’ve not turned the crock pot on…..

Kat March 20, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Isn’t it enough that we put all the things IN the crock pot? Now we have to remember to turn it on too!?!

Kat M March 20, 2014 at 7:18 am

I’ve done the crockpot thing! It’s only about half-way through the day that you stop and think “gee, I don’t recall hitting that button…… did I?”

I think that it’s hilarious that you tried to make banana bread from baby food! I actually snorted at that one.

Allison March 20, 2014 at 11:09 am

Great list! I’m pretty familiar with all of them, though I have not tried baby food mashed bananas in banana bread. It shocks me each day that my family wants more of my cooking.

Gigi March 20, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I am not a cook and never will be. But once, early in our marriage I thought I’d try. The husband (who is an excellent cook) tried everything I made and managed to choke it down until….the “meatloaf incident.” He had suggested that I use some spices to keep it from being bland. So I did. Unfortunately, the oregano didn’t have one of those tops with holes in it, so when I tipped the jar half of it fell into the meat. Turns out no matter how much you scoop out, you just can’t get enough of it out. After that incident, he gently suggested that I let him do the cooking. I gladly accepted.

madamdreamweaver March 20, 2014 at 2:52 pm

LOL, great list!

Tiffany March 20, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Great tips…especially the meat one! ;) I hate it when I forget to link up first thing in the morning!

Maggie S. March 21, 2014 at 7:53 am

It’s like a science lab in there, I tell ya.

kelley March 21, 2014 at 3:58 pm

great tips! I’ve learned a ton of cooking tips through the process of trial and error!

May March 21, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I get so tired to making dinner. There is so much to it. Make sure you come up with variety, have the ingredients and that they have no mold or any other problematic features, have a recipe or know what you are doing, and THEN do the stupid cooking, and THEN do the even more stupid clean-up, and THEN do the whole thing again tomorrow. Not a fan!

Andrea March 26, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I have the same feeling about my family – what? Are they hungry again? You know, the only time they are actually starving is when there are no chips in the cupboard.

http://expost24.com March 30, 2014 at 2:00 am

Although maximum site owners are familiar with these concepts, but they may lack the expertise to do
it the correctly. The says of free proxies and tunnelling services
are over, and as the Chinese government begins to tighten its grip on what
comes in and out of the country informationally speaking, the need for a vpn to bypass internet censorship in China
grows every day. For more information visit: security gives you the protection from all kinds of worms, viruses
and other problems.