Writer’s Workshop: Not A Baby

May 21, 2014 · 21 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: Not A Baby

3.) A blog post inspired by the word: sweet

I’ve trapped my sweet six year old as a baby in my brain. I think this is what Moms do with their last kid. It’s like we just HANG on for all that it’s worth.

My sisters and Mom call me out pretty often when they catch me underestimating his capabilities. We went to the fair a couple weeks ago and Kainoa carried that heavy burlap sack ALL the way up a GIANT staircase ALL by himself, got himself situated and pushed himself down the HUMONGOUS slide ALONE. No one there to help him.

My heart was in my throat the whole time. I was taking deep breaths and my inner dialogues was all, “It’s okay Kathy…let him fly…let him go…it’s time…OH MY GOSH HE’S SO FAR AWAY ALL BY HIMSELF!! Breathe…breathe…breathe…”

And before I knew it he was by my side! I quickly texted my sisters and Mom a picture of his great accomplishment and my sister texted back something like, “duh he’s six Kathy…he should be able to walk up the stairs and go down a slide by himself” and I was all “He’s a BABY!” and she was all “are you kidding?”

But I wasn’t.

And then the other day he was all, “look Mom I’m skating!” as he shuffled his bare feet across the carpet. I kneeled down next to him and was all “Well just look at you GO little Buddy!! You know what would really get you going!?! Just grab a couple books, put your feet on them and shuffle with THOSE! You’ll be really skating then!!”

He just looked at me all blank faced and grown up and was all, “I need WHEELS not books!” And he had that face for just a second that didn’t look like a baby anymore, but instead looked like a kid I didn’t recognize who was trying to say “I’m not an idiot, I know what skates are lady!”

He’s really not a baby anymore is he?

Maybe I’ll consider potty training him now.

1.) The most challenging part about blogging for you is…
2.) You HAVE to go back in time and choose a different career path for yourself. What do you choose?
3.) A blog post inspired by the word: sweet
4.) Describe your dream home.
5.) Choose a recent Instagram photo and use it to inspire a blog post!

Jennifer May 21, 2014 at 9:17 pm

So I am reading your post and I am all like “I can SO relate to this!” Except my kid who I thought was six, is actually 7. I do not want her to grow up. I also have a 20 yr old, 13 yr old and a 9yr old…..so I kinda know where this leads.

Dominique Goh May 21, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Kids really grow up super fast.. my youngest turns 4 this yar.

Dianna May 22, 2014 at 2:12 am

I can identify. Having only had one child, I sometimes still think of my son as a baby…and he’ll be 34 in a few weeks…..
Thanks for hosting!

Allie May 22, 2014 at 3:28 am

My youngest is six as well – and I’m just as guilty of making him the baby! It’s really embarrassing when my 9-year-old calls me one it! The potty training line made me laugh (and spit out my coffee).

Tina May 22, 2014 at 3:50 am

They grow up so fast! Who can blame you for wanting to keep them close as long as possible?

Lisa May 22, 2014 at 4:18 am

So that’s my problem with potty training – my grandson is only 3 ;)

Adrienne May 22, 2014 at 4:22 am

My post today is about my “baby” when he was six…..that would be 18 years ago! My little guy was such a well coordinated little dare devil that I don’t remember “holding on” physically…but cuddly bed times and long stories and long chats….well, that’s another story!! He’s still the one who’ll sit and talk to me the longest of anyone in my family!!

May May 22, 2014 at 4:41 am

My baby is just home from his freshman year of college. There is a tendency to hold on to the babyhood of that last one. Luckily mine has an older sister who reminds me regularly of what happened when Norman Bates’ mom held on too long!

Betsy May 22, 2014 at 5:58 am

I can totally identify. My 5 year old is still my baby. Though potty training seems like a good idea! ;)

Jen E @ mommablogsalot May 22, 2014 at 7:32 am

lmao too funny and you know I am the same way with my youngest, nearly 5 but still my baby!

Abby May 22, 2014 at 7:36 am

I’m absolutely the same way with my 14-year-old baby.

lonek8 May 22, 2014 at 8:15 am

I struggle with this all of the time. itty babies are my absolute favorite, and seeing them grow up, while so fun and amazing, is also sad when there aren’t going to be anymore babies! My youngest turns 2 in just over a week, and I can’t believe how fast the time has gone! I’m trying to soak up every moment with her while she is still little and I’m her favorite person in the world, but that is mostly just resulting in her being majorly spoiled. oh well

kelley May 22, 2014 at 9:55 am

It really is hard to let that last one grow up.

Emily May 22, 2014 at 10:15 am

I go through the same thing with my only, sigh.

Andrea May 22, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I am guilty of this, too. Usually the ‘duh, mom’ confrontation ends up with me being hurt, which is dumb. Sigh. Moms can be so silly sometimes.

Kristen R. May 22, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I have the same problem, except I only have one kid. Maybe I should potty train my 4-year-old now, too. Nice selection of prompts this week! I might just write on all of them.

Alisha May 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Cute post. My baby just turned 13. It is totally different then the other two…..very final and it seemed like she grew up so much faster. Fun to see but tugs at your heart a bit for sure.

Lisa @ Atypical Familia May 24, 2014 at 7:27 am

I understand. My son is 8 and he’s my only way and I probably baby him way too much. I wonder who needs it more – him or me? (I know, it’s me.)

Tiffany May 26, 2014 at 4:44 am

I am so guilty of doing this with my baby…who’s almost 9!!!!

Jennifer May 26, 2014 at 5:29 am

Yes. Exactly this. I feel the same way about my six year old. Right now he lets me. It will break my heart when he starts to complain about it.