Writer’s Workshop: Savant Memories

May 7, 2014 · 14 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: Savant Memories

1.) List your top 6 biggest fears, choose one and tell us why.

I’m afraid of all the regular fearful things. Disgusting bugs, heights, public speaking, death, getting bucked in the face by a horse…but of all my fears there is one that haunts my on a daily basis.

Children with savant memories.

I had the pleasure of running into one of my very first daycare kids. AJ was four when he was coming and he’s a teenager now and I was so excited to see how he’s grown.

“So AJ, do you remember anything about daycare at my house?”

“Oh yeah!”

Gulp.

I flashed back to the days I used to make him put his own shoes on. He would get frustrated and I would be all “It’s okay buddy take your time!” and I should have gotten down there and helped him. Or the time he didn’t get a treat when all the other kids did…he had done something wrong, but for the life of me I can’t remember what. Why didn’t he get a treat that day!?!

“Oh really? What do you remember?”

I had to know.

“I remember walking through a forest…were their horses? I remember horses. I remember the music when we napped and how the circles bounced across the screen when it played.”

And everything he said was kind of the last thing I’d expect him to remember.

“Do you remember…me…yelling at all?”

Gulp again.

But AJ didn’t skip a beat, “No! Why??”

Oh God bless you AJ.

No signs of post traumatic shoe trauma, no mention of missing a treat, no memory of me clucking about cleaning up and bossing everyone around.

No signs of a savant memory ready to remind me of every misstep I’ve taken, “Remember that time you put me in time out for drawing on your wall? Yeah THAT WASN’T ME! It was your daughter and she blamed me and I didn’t have the courage to defend myself!”

Cringe!

He’s half grown, happy, and well adjusted.

One daycare kid down, dozens more to go

1.) List your top 6 biggest fears, choose one and tell us why.
2.) Whose fault was it?
3.) Share a favorite recipe.
4.) Something you’re reading.
5.) Write about a wardrobe malfunction.

Karen and Gerard May 8, 2014 at 2:42 am

That had to make you feel good. I hope my Sunday School class boys remember the good things we did instead of me losing my temper at times when someone really get on my nerves.

Tina May 8, 2014 at 4:11 am

Most kids only remember the good things, a phenomenon that I am extremely grateful for!

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies May 8, 2014 at 4:48 am

I teach preschool (this is my 13th year). The kids I seem to get onto the most, the ones where I am straining to find something positive to say to them, are the ones that throw their arms around me and tell me how much they love me and preschool. Whew!

May May 8, 2014 at 4:51 am

The first group of 5th graders I taught are now grown with kids of their own. I love running into them and hearing things like they named a Cabbage Patch doll after me! It is one of the true rewards of working with children…watching them grow.

mryjhnsn May 8, 2014 at 4:53 am

I am afraid of what my children will remember! I can’t imagine what others would – I would probably never say anything lol

Betsy May 8, 2014 at 6:23 am

That is too funny! Glad he remembered the good stuff though!

EmmaJewel May 8, 2014 at 6:48 am

Oops.. looks like I posted twice…
Sorry about that!
-E

Teresa May 8, 2014 at 7:01 am

You say “post traumatic shoe incident” and all the sudden I flash back to the day I was in the woods across the street from my house. We had these HUMONGOUS fire ants in the woods and they swarmed my shoes. At that moment, terrified, I screamed, said, “screw shoes,” kicked them off, and ran home barefoot. To this day, those shoes probably remain in the woods. *shudder*

Allie May 8, 2014 at 7:50 am

You are very lucky that he had good memories! One of my four has a savant memory and he calls me on stuff all the time.

Crista May 8, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Yeah I’m not looking forward to my kids remembering things from their childhood that would make me look like a horrible mom..I always try and make sure I’m not traumatizing them too much!

kelley May 8, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I’m glad his memories are good ones! I hope they all turn out as well. Stopping by from mama kats kelley at the road goes ever ever on

madamdreamweaver May 8, 2014 at 4:54 pm

God Bless Selective Memory

Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes May 9, 2014 at 10:55 am

Post traumatic shoe incident… I’m dying with laughter and also hoping my two aren’t ‘blessed’ with a savant memory

Kat M May 11, 2014 at 4:47 am

I’m always amazed how kids will only remember the things that we would never expect. I always felt bad after yelling at my kids, thinking that I had damaged them and they would be in therapy until they’re 40 because of it but, amazingly enough, they’re okay. Phew!

I’m so late in linking up this week; it was really a hectic week!