Writer’s Workshop: First Day Of Summer

June 25, 2014 · 19 comments

Post image for Writer’s Workshop: First Day Of Summer

You know I’m drunk when I start repeating the same prompts every week. Between this week and last week it looks like I’m just REALLY needing movie recommendations right now because I’ve asked for reviews twice in a row.

Unfortunately I don’t watch enough movies to care to answer that prompt…although we DID see Maleficent and I would go back and watch it again this instant. By myself, with a stranger…I don’t care, it was that good!

Today I’m recapping how we spent the first day of Summer. Last week I talked about the last time we visited Hawaii so I thought it would only make sense to follow up with the trip we’re taking. Our first day of Summer was spent at the beach that used to be Pat’s grandmother’s homestead. The land has since been purchased by Paul Allen, but the remains of her home were still there.

home

beach 2

I wonder what it was like to grow up there years ago, running down that path to the beach. Rumor has it that when she was called in to do chores, Pat’s grandma would sneak out into the ocean to avoid the work.

grandma

I wonder if she ever in her wildest dreams imagined that one day she would have 11 children and of those 11 children one of them would have11 of her own, and of those 11 one would marry a white girl from Seattle and they would have 3 kids (because 11 is crayzee) of their own and would spend a day walking her coastline and posting about the experience to her blog.

beach 3

at the beach2

One thing I know for sure, the family reunions on Pat’s side of the family are way more interesting (and warm and fun and tropical) than the family reunions on my side of the family. The family reunions on my side of the family are also non-existent so he’s got me beat on a number of levels.

I’d say we really set the bar for future first days of summer (minus the sun poisoning), not sure how we’re going to beat this next year.

1.) The first day of Summer was June 21st…how did you spend it?
2.) The last movie you saw in a theater.
3.) A blog post inspired by the words: setting sun
4.) Create a summer play list and share it.
5.) Talk about a club from your childhood you belonged to (or wanted to belong to).

Dianna June 26, 2014 at 2:07 am

So beautiful – I can’t imagine growing up there!

Rachel June 26, 2014 at 3:56 am

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Maleficent but I’ve yet to see it.

Haley Webb June 26, 2014 at 3:58 am

Oh my goodness, that looks picture perfect. Are you sure you don’t want to have 8 more kids? Haha

Betsy June 26, 2014 at 6:30 am

That is so cool to have that history! And 11 kids, YIKES! I don’t think I could do it.

Tiffany June 26, 2014 at 6:32 am

What a way to start summer!!

kelley June 26, 2014 at 6:42 am

that’s a great way to start the summer. I love that you focused on introducing the kids to their family roots. I’m sure your vacation to Hawaii will be a favorite in years to come.

Adrienne June 26, 2014 at 6:49 am

So beautiful. I love the family history…what a blessing for your kids to experience that place and touch a bit of that history! And, yes….hard to top as a first day of summer!

Emily June 26, 2014 at 8:11 am

It must have been extra hard to do chores with that beautiful beach and ocean right there!

I am enjoying your family reunion/vacation as much as I can from my Cleveland suburb.

May June 26, 2014 at 8:20 am

Incredible photo of his grandmother. Makes me wish I could sit with her and hear her stories. And speaking of what I hear….if I heard correctly, I believe we should be expecting 8 more little kittens from Mama Kat!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot June 26, 2014 at 8:34 am

Yeah I’m officially jealous. We spent the first day of summer at a local state park’s “beach” which I thought was pretty cool until reading this – lol

Andrea June 26, 2014 at 9:23 am

Hawaii is one of those dream places of mine – we are on the East Coast so it is rather a huge deal for us to travel there, and I’ve never been. How wonderful to have family there and such a rich history to call your own! Beautiful!

Kerry Ann June 26, 2014 at 11:31 am

Dang, that is breathtakingly gorgeous! My “Redneck Riveira” seems like a dump compared to that beauty. What fabulous family memories—wish I could hijack a few ;)

Tina June 26, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Yeah, it messed up again and double posted. I even used a desktop instead of my phone! Sorry about that.

I think it is great that you get to go to such great family reunions! I used to love to hear stories about my grandparent’s lives when they were kids. I should have recorded them.

Gigi June 26, 2014 at 2:05 pm

What a beautiful woman! Love that picture.

Slightly jealous that I’m not in Hawaii with you right now though. Sorry.

Maleficient was AMAZING! I absolutely loved it.

Jessica June 26, 2014 at 6:33 pm

You definitely have my first day of summer and family reunions beat, although I spent both last year in Colorado, which was pretty awesome. Hawaii looks gorgeous; I’d love to go there someday! Have fun!

sex toy reviews June 26, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Good post but I was wanting to know if you could write a
litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
Thank you!

MJ June 27, 2014 at 8:37 am

Wow, love the photos! The weather and scenery looked so perfect! Makes me wanna spend my summer in Hawaii now….

Alisha June 30, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Love the post and the thoughts behind it. Wondering about the loved ones before us and how they thought and lived their lives…what they would think of our lives on the internet…..sometimes I think they have us beat with their simplicity.