Writer’s Workshop: Gone To Hawaii

2.) Throwback Thursday! Find and share an old photo and let it inspire a blog post.

We haven’t gone to Hawaii to visit family since 2007.

Hawaii FLight

Maile was three, Laina was almost two, and I was five months pregnant.

hawaii girls

Laina was meeting the ocean for the first time.

hawaii beach

But she refused to go near it or off the towel at all because sand.

hawaii crying

I felt overwhelmed because toddlers are difficult no matter how cute they are and did I mention I was pregnant?

hawaii pregnant

Don’t let that smile and carefully cradled belly fool you, I actually had a personal meltdown on this trip after Laina kicked me in the head for the fourth time as she resisted being strapped into a car seat. My internal dialogue went something like this,

“This is it…this is my life. Stuck on a towel with a screaming child who kicks me in the head…did I really choose this life? Is this forever? I’m just a glorified nanny to these children for the rest of my life…what have I done?”

And then I responded to myself with something like, “YOU CHOSE THIS! EVERY BIT OF IT! NOW BUCK UP!”

hawaii laina

I guess I kept my hormonal pregnant breakdown quiet because I can’t find one picture of myself crying…although I imagine it would have looked something like this:

hawaii crying

And then Kainoa was born, and after six years of raising that boy we’ve finally decided to bring him to his homeland. Out of utero. We have a family reunion to attend this summer and naturally I thought going for 3 weeks seemed logical…considering at the rate we’re going we won’t see the island again until Kainoa moves there to play volleyball for the state university.

Prepare yourself for a lot of really obnoxious palm tree posts. The only thing I’ll be carefully cradling this time is a margarita. Which is as it should be when you’re on vacation with small children. Or at all.

1.) A taste of summer…
3.) Tell us about the last movie you saw…do you recommend it?
4.) Something your family did to celebrate Father’s Day.
5.) List 7 things you’d rather be doing this summer.

Comments

So jealous:)! I have never been to Hawaii and it is one of my dreams to go there. I am beyond impressed that you got on that long plane ride with the kids!

Can’t believe how much Laina looks like her daddy in the shot by the faucet. The one of you on the plane—pregnant and two other bodies draped over you! At that stage my pediatrician said to me, “I bet you sigh a lot as you go through the day.”

Not sure how I managed to show up multiple times! I am using my phone to link, if that makes a difference.

I have never been to Hawaii, but it sounds wonderful…minus the small children. That would try anyone’s patience, and I don’t blame you for crying!

This time you’re doing Hawaii without toddlers and WITH booze; how can it get better? I hope that you have a great time :)

Thanks! The stars are aligned! I’m such a homebody though…definitely a little nervous about being gone for so long.

Wow, I wish I had roots in Hawaii. Ours are in Kentucky and West Virginia, not quite the same, lol.

Sorry, I am the dolt who linked up twice and I am not sure how to fix!

I had a meltdown when I was pregnant with my third- I was pushing my middle son up the gigantic hill by the bears in the zoo while my 3y/o dashed ahead of us and I started crying, thinking there was no way I could do it. Baby #3 was born 2 days later.

Would have rather had that meltdown in Hawaii than in a hot, stinky zoo.

Yes, Hawaii was the perfect place for privileged break down. Having kids so close together is HARD, but definitely worth the trouble.

Awe the girls are so cute.

I want to go there one day. Well ya know after I get over my fear of flying across the pond ;) Have fun!

Wow, have fun!
    Going on a long distance flight with two toddlers while preggars? That’s way more scary than sand.

I have never been to Hawaii, honestly, I am not even sure I would like it. I hate he hot weather and I do not know how to swim. My husband is Samoan, grew up in Samoa and Hawaii, he really wants to go back….I don’t know, makes me nervous.

Wow! Exciting! My brother lives on Maui – 10 years – and I haven’t made it yet. It’s a must do … soooooon! Hope you have a wonderful trip and I look so forward to every stinking palm tree pic you post!!

Ha, challenging time I bet. We visited Hawaii once and it was before kids.

And, I think all family reunions should be where you are going.

Trackbacks