Writer’s Workshop: A New Friend

1.) A new friend.

Laina made a new friend this year and I’ve been baffled at how quickly they claimed each other.

According to Laina, Erica just walked up to her and asked her if she wanted to be best friends.

Laina said yes and they’ve been talking on the phone ever since.

I use the term “talking” loosely here.

The other day Laina was walking around with the phone.

She set it down, poured a bowl of cereal, grabbed a spoon and a glass of milk.

She sat there eating her food in silence and finally I was all, “Is Erica on the phone?”

And she was all, “Yeah. Why?”

And I was all, “Well you aren’t even talking to her…what is she doing?”

And then Laina shouted into the speaker, “ERICA???”

And Erica was all, “Yeah?”

And Laina was all, “What are you doing?”

And Erica was all, “Skating.”

She looked at me and shrugged.

Put another spoonful of Cheerios in her mouth.

Continued to sit in silence.

Man. Some of us have to wait years for friendship to reach that comfort level.

Anyone want to roller skate while I eat my cereal this morning?

1.) A new friend.
2.) Book review!
3.) Do you “unplug” during the summer months? Why or why not?
4.) Something you got to do when you were young that you would not let your children do.
5.) List your top 12 solutions for bored children.

Comments

First of all – I’m so glad you used this photo here! I just saw it o instagram, and it’s one of my all time favorites….now I can gush over it! Love the fence. Love the open landscape and …. mostly … the sweet girl gazing at the horses and taking it all in! And, I’ll eat cheerios while you’re roller skating – but I don’t skate! My kids used to sit with friends on the phone and watch tv. They’d be watching the same show. Say nothing – but just be watching “together!! I don’t think I’ve said this for a while – but thanks for all the great prompts – It’s not easy to keep coming up with all these, and I really appreciate it!

Love that picture!!! I thought you were going to say “Erica” was the horse!! LOL!!! Love that the girls are that comfortable with each other already!!!

Oh my goodness, I love this! I remember when I was younger I did the same thing, except I had a sister nagging in my ear telling me it was her turn to call her friend, haha!

I love listening to the conversations my daughter has with her friends on the phone. I only hear her side, but it always makes me smile. Oh the ease of friendship at that age.

Hilarious! I was so prepped for a touchy feely story with that gorgeous photo. But really, what’s more touchy feely than that exact level of comfort in a friendship? Love it so much, haha! xoxo

I thought Erica was going to be the horse, too – and love the fact it was a friend she ‘ate cereal’ with while her friend skated. So perfect. Love love love may I please say love a few more times? Brava!

Now I have to consider what prompt to use. We’ll see….

Sweet! Besties for life, totally!
    I grew up when phones had cords and their bases were bolted to the inside of the house somewhere. We thought we were bonding then… but now!

Love it! Some of my favorite phone calls are when my friends and I just narrate what we are doing. No conversation needed, but there sure are a lot of laughs.

Thanks for the prompt… It was a fun one.
    My daughter is the same with her phone buddies… it’s so cute! I’ll take this innocent, silly chatter over what is to come in a few years when her first boyfriend calls… :0/