Writer’s Workshop: Real Riding Boots

3.) Something new.

I’ve been wearing rain boots to horse lessons for about a year now. I feel like if I buy a “real” pair of riding boots I’m really committing to this as my sport and I’ve been too busy feeling embarrassed about taking lessons in the first place. What kind of grown woman takes lessons in ANYTHING?

So I pulled out a pair of boots I bought when riding boots became fashionable wear and I was all, “Pat do these look like riding boots or do they look like fashion boots that I’m wearing while riding?”

And he was all, “They look like fashion boots you’re wearing while riding.”

Which is too bad, because when I first bought the boots Pat was all, “Whoa! Where’s the rodeo, cow girl?” and then I refused to wear them for fear everyone would think I was a confused equestrian at the mall.

They’ve been sitting in my closet, but now I don’t want to to wear them to horse lessons for fear that the REAL equestrians will be snickering about my knock off leather fashion boots.

Which means they have to go back to the closet.

“Darn it! I’m just going to have to go out and buy real riding boots…”

Realizing his frugal mistake Pat was all, “RIDING BOOTS! They look like real riding boots!! I TAKE IT BACK!”

But I was already deep into my search…these should do…

cowgirl boots

1.) 9 things you’d rather be doing today.
2.) A blog post inspired by the words: growing pains
3.) Something new.
4.) Kids say the darndest things…
5.) Talk about a time you took a chance.

Comments

Good for you! More grown-ups should take lessons in ANYTHING!!! My daughter has horse back riding therapy and there are always grown men and women there for lessons. Wear those boots proudly, Kat!!! You look fabulous!

I could see myself thinking the same thing about the boots! Should I wear them? Should I not? At any rate, I’m glad you finally decided to “gear up” for the real cowgirl ride! Have fun!

I recently started oil painting lessons and love it. I always wanted to paint like my grandmother. I felt a little funny, too, at first. Afterall, I am well into grandparenting years. But, life is far too short to not fulfill your dreams. You are never too old or too late to do anything and try something new!

Yeah–I want a vlogging report the first time you wear those boots in a corral full of manure! I think it’s great your learning a new sport, horse riding is very satisfying.

A grown woman who takes lessons to learn something new – no matter what the activity – is a woman who knows there is always something more to learn and to know. Put on whatever boots make you happy and go ride, woman! The horse won’t care what your feet look like. :D

Ooooh! Those are pretty boots, but I can’t see any horse allowing you to ride with those pointy parts. Too close to spurs!

6. Andrea says

You’re never too old for lessons, especially riding lessons! I looked at proper English boots when I started out but settled for paddock boots instead. Far softer on my wallet.

I used to take ballet when I was a kid, and for some reason I’d love to get into it again. But I can’t even imagine attempting it surrounded by 8 year old in tutus!

Oops, my link entered twice. You can delete #22…:-/

This definitely sounds like something Kyle would say just to save money. Those boots are fierce!

8. geoff says

hi I love your riding boot blog….I’m a male who wears womens long riding boots…..You really do need proper riding boots….I love wearing my long rubber and leather riding boots… Remember the rubber boots are very fashionable…..I love to wear mine tucked into jeans….I get great comments …..LOVE YOUR BLOG

Trackbacks