Writing prompts are a great way to work through writer’s block when it comes to journal writing and blogging. Use them for yourself or share them with your kids to inspire consistency and fuel that creative mind! Below is a list of 31 January writing prompts, peek back in next month for a fresh February list!
January Writing Prompts
1. Share your 2015 New Year’s Resolution. How did last year’s turn out?
2. Did you pick a Word Of The Year for 2015? Share!
3. If the way you spent your New Year’s Eve is any indication of how the rest of the year will go, how would you say your future is looking right about now?
4. Share your top 12 blog posts from 2014.
5. Share your top 12 photos from 2014.
6. You know the stories that are retold a million times at family gatherings? I call them Life Stories that you just never live down. List your Top 10 Life Stories. Example here.
7. Find a photo of yourself taken 10 years ago and display it on your blog along with a current photo. How have you changed since the day that photo was taken?
8. If there was one thing you could change about yourself, what would it be? Why can’t it change?
9. Choose the 7th picture you took from last January and write a poem.
10. Write a blog post inspired by the word: Scarred
11. Share one piece of great advice you’ve received from someone who knows stuff…
12. Welcome to the most shocking rose ceremony in writing prompt history. Please award roses to the ten people (or items) in your life that you’d like to continue pursuing a relationship with.
13. The last time my heart melted was because…
14. A list of 20 ideas to make this your best year yet.
15. List your top 10 favorite apps currently.
16. Write a blog post inspired by the word: Drunk
17. If you could have given yourself a snapshot five years ago of what your life is like now, what would the picture be of and how do you think you would have felt about it?
18. The best part of my day is…
19. Share the last five items you pinned, choose one and let it inspire a blog post.
20. Write a poem inspired by the last conversation you had with your child.
21. List 7 things you would rather do than clean your bathroom.
22. Write a blog post inspired by the word:
23. Describe someone in your life you wish you saw more of.
24. Pinterest inspired! Share a pin you actually tried. How did it go?
25. List 10 things you love about motherhood
26. A photo journal entry…show us what winter looks like in your town.
27. Book review!
28. Write a blog post inspired by the word:
29. Take a look at your archives, what were you blogging about in a previous year at this time? What has changed?
30. List 8 solutions for bored children.
31. You’re better off without it…
January is all about fresh starts, goal making and organizing! Hopefully this list will inspire some fun topics. Get busy and have fun!